Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know??...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worshiper, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    What kind of bass Esteban's bass player plays. I just saw the infomercial on TV but I could catch the name on the headstock.
    i ask because I heard it once before at a wedding, of course a different bass player was playing it and it was a different bass, but it still was the same model and I was really impressed with the tone. So if anyone can give me a name or a pic it would be appreciated.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Modulus every time I've seen him. Although...the bass player credited on his website mentions Clifford Roi as the instrument maker

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Esteban's bad ass, isn't he? Kinda looks like a 60 year old Ritchie Sambora with that hat.

(Insert copius amounts of sarcasm here.)

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yep, act now and you and your wife can even SMELL like esteban!

5. I am the Esteban of bass!

6. Estebass?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bassteban

8. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA

Estebassteban. ;)

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The last guy i saw playing bass for Esteban on tv was a guy i met on Long Island playing in a local bar/resturant last summer, his name is Mike. He told me a local Long Island Lutheir was building his basses.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    One of the callers yesterday was asking how high the strings should be off of the fingerboard near the body joint, as she was apparently having a problem with it.

Moron answered telling her as high, or low as she wants it, and to use the allen head screw (TRUSS ROD!?!?!?!?) to adjust string heigth without any further explanation.

You get what you pay for, and people should know this by now....but these infomercials are pretty dang convincing to the ignorant that they are getting a D-28, and will be able to play like esteban (actually, quite a good player) within a month.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Cliffords Roi lives on Long Island so I guess he is the luthier spoken of. This is a friend of mine playing a Roi bass, and by the way when I saw my friend a couple of weeks ago Roi was with him![​IMG]

12. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!! That's the guy from the wedding!!

Seroiously though. he is by far one of the best jazz bassists I have ever heard. Pyrohr, how do you know him? I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but the whole band was outstanding. Appropriately enough, they played out here on Long island as well. I'll have to look into this Clifford Roi. Thanks a bunch.

by the way...he has some of the coolest dredlocks I have ever seen! :D

13. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Hmmm,I just googled him, and I didn't find much. Can anyone dirrect me to a plce where I can find more info about him or the instruments?

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    He's a good friend of mine! I do alot of gigs with his brother. His name is Reuben Austin and he's a gear junkie too! He favors that particular Roy over the Fedora (sp) he got just before the Roi. I know a couple of dudes with Roi basses, let me know if you want a contact number. :)

15. Let'em know I think his bass is beautiful.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It would only swell his head more :) But on the real side he's real cool.