1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DOES ANYONE KNOW???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rekaptivator, Jun 4, 2007.

1. rekaptivator

rekaptivator

Jun 1, 2007
    Does anyone know anything about a standup bass called a Jacob Horst.Looking to buy another bass found this one can't find any info, can anyone help.
    thanks
    rekaptivator

2. ...stop shouting. We're right here. Also, this should probably go in the DB forum, not the Bass guitar one.

Now, back to the issue: Nope, I don't know a thing about them. Sorry.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    NO TRY THE DOUBLE BASS FORUM!

MAYBE THEY WILL KNOW!

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, I think the DB guys can help you more than we can.

Moved.

5. OK, this is not much help, I know, but my suspicion is that this is a brand name and not a maker name. I found one review by googling that is only one sentence long and says nothing bad about the bass but nothing definitive either. Here's what you need to find out and don't let the owner BS you. Generally there is a label in a bass inside the bass side f-hole that tells where it was made, sometimes when. It is important to know whether it is plywood, carved, or hybrid. Is the fingerboard ebony (real ebony, not dyed, ebonized, or other substitute). Some good photos would help us tell you more about the bass.

I assume you are thinking about buying the bass. Except for really cheapo bass shaped objects, the brand name is not as important as the origin, the type of wood, age, condition, quality of set-up and quality of hardware. The sound is the most important thing. If it sounds great, who cares what label is on there, right? Double basses that are factory made come from only a few places but have many labels. This is not like comparing a Fender to an XYZ bass guitar. The structural condition is important because repairs are always expensive no matter what the value of the bass is. The cosmetic condition is much less important. Here's some advice that will help: Try before you buy. Since this bass is a relatively unknown one and is for sale by owner, don't break that rule. Nothing about Jacob Horst matters. It may or may not be a person who has anything to do with the bass. So who cares about the name. It's nothing. You want to know about the bass and if the owner is playing dumb, that is not a good sign. The owner should be able to tell you by inspection what is on the label, what construction it is, for instance plywood swell back, flat back, carved top /ply sides and back, fully carved, etc. Make sure there is no damage, and listen to it. Also read the newbie stickies. It will inform your shopping.

6. post pictures.
    there are enough guys here that will pretty much know what kind of bass it is from the looks of it
    it's happened before

7. rekaptivator

rekaptivator

Jun 1, 2007
    rekaptivator Here, thanks for the info i have a very cheap
    bass and have been playing in a bluegrass band for a
    year , and want an easier bass to play.got any thing in mind .
    thanks again..rekaptivator

8. Rekap . . .

What are you playin' now? Has it been set-up (professionally by a luthier) for bluegrrass (pizz)? If not, that in & of itself, would most likely make a world of difference . . . what strings are ya pluckin' ? that, too, could make a huge difference in how it sounds as well - both of which are waay cheaper than a new upgrade purchase that will also need the same set-up regardless . . . just a suggestion.

9. +1

10. We're here for you. Pictures we need!

11. I beleive Jacob Horst is a private label of the former Brook Mays Music Co. from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They had several models, hybrids & carved. I think they were from Bulgaria.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021