1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

does anyone like Switchfoot?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by g00eY, Apr 20, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i've been on a Switchfoot trip as of late. i really like all their music. i've been listening to some of their lesser known stuff (Love is the Movement, The Economy of Mercy, etc...). they've got some pretty good bass lines going in there. simple, yet they sound good. so does anyone like them?

2. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Yup, I dig 'em. Not as much as I dig Thousand Foot Krutch, though. The Phenomenon album is ridiculously great.

3. Switchfoot is a great band, my favorite cd from them is The Beautiful Letdown.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I like em, I'm kind of disappointed that I missed them playing here a week ago.

Great band, and they were touring with Mute Math as well...

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My guitarist/singer is obsessed with them. One of these days I'll check 'em out just to get him off my case about it.

6. +1. Tim Foreman has a solid groove on that song. Bomb is also good. I've seen Switchfoot once already, will probably see them again on 5/1 when they play the MacDonald here.

7. I like that first song they did...i forget the name, but it goes "we want more than this world's got to offer..." something along that line, but i haven't gotten into them after they had that "dare you to move" song...it got a little too pop-py for me :)

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ^Meant To Live^

i think it may have been the first Switchfoot song i really got in to. i really like the On Fire live studio version on AOL sessions.

9. I like the older albums, like The Legend Of Chin and New Way To Be Human. The new stuff is a little too "pop"y.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My band covers "More Than Fine", what a great song.

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My Fiance saw them in concert with her friend recently. She said that they were fantastic live, and were overall great musicians with a tight feel.

Also, the bass player plays Laklands, and that's a major plus. :D

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea, i believe he plays Musicmans, Laklands, and Belmans through GK amps.

13. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'm gonna swim against the tide here and mention that I think they are awful, bland pop-rock, and that the world would be better off if no one had to hear their songs.

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go ahead and think that; IMO they're still a lot better than a lot of bands (and morally, both them and their songs IMO, which for me is a big plus)

15. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Morally? You judge music by how "morally" correct it is? I dunno about anyone else but I judge music by the sound.

I won't get into this debate. I'll just bow out now, I'm a filthy atheist devil and therefore have no morals.

Don't take that as me implying you said that I didn't have morals either. I know you want to, but don't.

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +10000. There music isn't exactly my preference, but they aren't a bad band at all, musically and morally.

Yes.

17. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    As I get older (I'm still young), I realize that music just like any other creative output varies on a vast continuum between what some people call "art" and pure "pleasure." I don't like switchfoot for the reasons mentioned already by others, but I listen to things that other people don't like as well. So, I guess I'm saying that like many others, I'm stuck between drawing black and white lines between what is "good" and what is "bad" while also realizing that it may be better to not worry about it and just pursue what you consider "good" and leave everyone else alone :p

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not saying you don't have morals - I used to be an athiest as well.

Its just that personally, it helps me get my thinking right, or at least helps think of things better than say...a lot of mainstream stuff, especially a lot of the mainstream rap you hear on the radio...

IMO the lyrics are better than a song that goes 'Bootybootybooty",,,,:bag: