Does anyone make a 4 ohm 18" cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 21, 2004.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I'm looking for a 18" speaker cabinet that is 4 ohms and will handle close to 1000 watts RMS. It seems that everything out there (Bag End, SWR) is rated at 8 ohms and only handles a few hundred watts of power. Any custom cabinet makers out there that can build something like this? I'm looking for some serious bottom end for outdoor shows. My 2 Bag End S-15Ds are all right, but they just don't have the deep lows I'm looking for. Thanks!
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The standard impedance for most speakers is either 8 or 16 Ohms, then these are wired up in a combination of series/parallel to make 4 or 8 Ohm cabinets. It is unlikely that you will find a 4 Ohm single-speaker cab. It might be easier if you get 2 Ohm 118 cabs and wire them up parallel, or wire one 118 up with, like an 8 Ohm 410. Should also sound better ;)
  3. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    get two of'em and run'em parallel. That'll give you bottom.
  5. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    thats the first cab to come to mind, but polkahero said it needs to be able to handle 1000, im assumming rms.

the ampegs rms is 500, with peak of 1000,

my question to polkaking is are you using this for a bass rig, or a outdoor sound system?
  6. jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
  7. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm looking to run only one cabinet at about 1000 watts RMS (bass guitar application). It's a Carvin DCM1000 power amp, so it probably is rated less conservatively than other models. I'm assuming the Ampeg and Carvin cabinets probably sound like mud and aren't in the power handling range I'm lookin for. There's a couple of Eminence drivers out there that would handle the power and are 4 ohms. Looks like the Kilomax-18 will perform better in a smaller enclosure than the Omega Pro-18C. Portability is definitely an issue. Maybe I'll contact LowDownSound in Detroit and see if they can build me a cabinet with this speaker. Thanks again! :)
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    If you don't mind my asking, why a single 18"?
  9. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    I dont think you are going to find any 18's that will handle that power. I would get two JBL's (8 ohms) and wire them up for 4 ohms and that should handle abt 6oo watts but you are going to have a LARGE cab.
  10. Eminence do there KILOMAX PRO 18 speaker rated at 1250 watts. I use one in our PA, make sure u do drive it with an amp of that rating or thereabouts, I drive it at 1200 watts (one side of a Carver PT2400) These are avalable in 4 and 8 ohm models.
    The other option is a Celestion Frontline, basically the same but Celestion. You could buy an old Peavey or such similar cab and ditch the old driver and replace with whatever takes your fancy.
    I would personally opt for the 650 watt Eminence Sigma Pro 18, they have a high sensitivity which means you wouldnt have to drive the amp so hard for an equivalant SPL. Good Luck with it anyway.
  11. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Because most 2x18"s are too heavy to drag around. :D
    My SWR BigBen is 4ohm but it's one of the early ones that have a bagend speaker in them, I don't know what they are using now.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    From my quick calcs, the Kilomax needs an enormous enclosure. The Omega 18c likes a reasonable enclosure but it's -3dB at 45-55Hz, depending on the alignment. That's not all that low for an 18. You may have to try something that doesn't fit any f the standard alignments and see what you can come up with. Don't forget to keep an eye on excursion as well as frequency response.

If I get some time, I'll have a bit of a play around for you.
  13. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Well, I'm almost to the point where having a 4 ohm impedance isn't going to be necessary. My amp will still put out 700 watts RMS at 8 ohms bridged, plus I could still run a 15 with the 18 for added punch. This should give me more options in selecting a speaker/enclosure.

Does anyone here use an Accugroove Gordo enclosure? Looks pretty impressive and compact.

Accugroove Cabs
  14. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Screw the Gordo, go with the Whappo Grande...18" isn't going to move any air ;)

I just looked Ampeg's 18" is 4 ohm but not nearly the power you need (500w RMS) and it doesnt hit as low as the Gordo. I still can't under stand why you need such a big speaker, do you have a low F# string on a bass or something? Or just looking for more headroom (so to speak)?