Does anyone make a jack-mounted footswitch control?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twocan, May 1, 2018.

  1. Twocan

    Twocan Living the Dream

    Oct 5, 2009
    If not, perhaps a good idea for any entrepreneurs out there: A 1/4 plug that goes into the footswitch jack on an amp, and gives immediate on/off control (an amp mounted switch or button) without the cord and/or footswitch. Is there such a thing?
  2. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    Truthfully I’m confused about what you want. What’s wrong with the regular foot switch sitting on top of your amp with the cable dangling at the back out of sight?
    HolmeBass likes this.
  3. BadExample


    Jan 21, 2016
    You could have a tech make one for you. Personally, I would do as Paul says, well I already do, but if that's no an option make an "L" bracket for the switch, a foot long cable to the jack and mount the L anywhere there's a screw handy near the front. If you can't solder, a tech would charge as much as a universal pedal.
  4. abarson


    Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    On your amp (whatever model it is), what does the footswitch jack do? They aren't all created equal.
    WBasstrolo likes this.
  5. Sweetfootpedals makes some tiny foot switches. No affiliation. It appears he can add options for small up charges and has responded quick to my emails.

    Edit: just reread op. Without a chord? I guess hack an old garage door transmitter.
  6. DigitalMan

    DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

    Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Are you basically looking for these two things soldered together?
    E41F58DE-B383-4D49-A438-6D37B396A556.png 30F76CFB-09D9-4DF2-A7D8-E58B75570860.jpeg
    Jewce, lz4005 and Twocan like this.
  7. Wasnex


    Dec 25, 2011
    Some people just solder a wire to short the plug. Put the plug in or pull the plug out = on/off. I received a couple of these with vintage guitar amps that use RCA plugs for the pedals. Basically it's used to test the tremolo if you don't have a pedal. (Tremolo is normally off on my amps)
  8. Twocan

    Twocan Living the Dream

    Oct 5, 2009
    Basically, I'm getting a MB Big Bang amp, which has a mute feature that is powered by a footswitch. For me and my setup, it would be easier if this was just a button on the amp...
  9. Twocan

    Twocan Living the Dream

    Oct 5, 2009
    Less is more :)
    Jeff Scott likes this.
  10. Twocan

    Twocan Living the Dream

    Oct 5, 2009
    Yes - I've got to imagine that a minimally sized version of that combo would have an audience.
  11. Drucifer

    Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    It would be an easy job for a good amp tech to replace the jack with a switch, and likely just as easily reversible if you want to sell.
  12. Wasnex


    Dec 25, 2011
    Easy enough to wire a latching switch into a 1/4" jack with a short pig tail as well.

    Obviously somebody has thought of it...unfortunately no longer available.
    5pcs Tattoo FOOTLESS Foot Switch Constant Power Pedal Mono Jack 1/4" Replacement Kit Set-in Tattoo accesories from Beauty & Health on | Alibaba Group

  13. Wasnex


    Dec 25, 2011
    Looks like the Big Bang foot switch uses a TRS plug as it controls the mute and (EQ2) filter section.
    HolmeBass likes this.
  14. darkestsun


    Nov 19, 2017
    South Dakota
    They do exist, i have seen them for Fender Amps. I used to have one.
  15. coreyfyfe


    Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Some available on ebay
    1pc Tattoo FOOTLESS Foot Switch Constant Power Pedal Mono Jack 1/4" Wireless | eBay

    The barrel is the hang up for me, tried to find a good 1/4"M to 1/4"M adapter that could donate a M end to mount a switch, would need some kind of threaded end to hold things in place I think. Nice find on the tattoo piece.
    BadExample and Wasnex like this.
  16. dcbassist5

    dcbassist5 Supporting Member

    May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t you use a tuner? If so, there’s your mute. If not, God help you.
    HamOnTheCob likes this.
  17. TWood97


    Dec 9, 2017
    Planet waves do a circuit breaker cable, just a cable with a button on the jack that effectively mutes the signal.
    HolmeBass and Twocan like this.
  18. Twocan

    Twocan Living the Dream

    Oct 5, 2009
    I'll just answer you once: Sometimes I play small venues where it's too small to use my pedalboard, and instead use a clip on tuner. For these, the button mute would be handy.
  19. bigswifty1


    Dec 8, 2011
    If you're playing that small and you're not into the PA, just wind your master volume down? Or pull the plug half out of the amp on mine will give a clickless mute. If you're taking a break even just turn the amp off. Or as posted elsewhere the planet waves cable with the switch. Or the Neutrik "Silent Cable".

  20. I was looking at those for this thread. I think they are momentary switches.
    In other words only activated as long you hold the switch.
    If that works for the OP, Switchcraft makes just the connector/switch. No cable needed.