Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone make a midi style bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gerard Rizzardo, Oct 8, 2000.

1. It seems that from a bit of reading about different players, a new era of playing basses with midi capability are beginning to emerge. So, I've got a few questions 1) Are there any manufactures who are beginning to produce these type of basses? 2) Are they affordable? 3) Could you convert your old bass? Thanks Rizz

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Brand: Peavey
    Model: Cyberbass

Players: T.M. Stevens, I believe Brian Bromberg uses one sometimes too, and other players do too.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Yamaha makes MIDI-equipment that you can easily attach
    to your bass without damaging it. Check out BassPlayers
    site, it's at gear section if I recall correctly.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is hardly "new" - guitar synths were developed in the late 70s by Roland and the first Roland bass synth appeared in 1980 - Roland G33 or G88. The most famous one was the G77, introduced in 1985 and with a futuristic look and distinctive bar across the top. Dave Bronze used one on tour with "Art of Noise" in 1986 to trigger samples via midi. The Peavey Cyberbass was introduced in '93 and marked the start of the "affordable" midi bass.

I thought this trend had been and gone and I see less bass players using things like this nowadays than I did in the late 80s when every pro seemed to have one in their arsenal!

5. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    PEAVEY used to make a model called Dyna Bass. They are still around if you look hard. I think Rudy Sarzo played one.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    au contrare, mon frere ;) in my limited experience, more and more players are entering the realm of bass and guitar synths everyday. the newer technology, like the RMC system, axon ax-100 and the newly-midi capable lightwave bridge, are making the shift more productive and useful more a wider range of players.

quite a high percentatge of bill conklin's output over the past few years have had RMC-equipped synth pickups on them. i have an RMC synth pickup on the top 6 strings of my fretless 8 string, the 2 basses that i have on order also are going to be "synth-equipped" and i will be getting pretty much all of my other existing instruments converted to synth/piezo capabilities before too long, hopefully in the next month or two.

i think people are re-discovering the technology for bass now that there are finally fairly cheap alternatives to the old wired-fret systems that work well enough to be useful.

i was told by bill conklin that the lightwave system shows at least a 30% improvement over the piezo-equipped system. they are working now on a monolithic bridge that will allow any number of strings on the instrument.

and, you know what that tells me? time for a refit. :D

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Umm.. The Peavey Dyna Bass was not a midi instrument.

The first Peavey was called the midibase(yes, it was all lowercase), and then for some copyright reason they had to change the name.

They redid it a little cosmetically and rereleased it as the CyberBass.

It was the first mass produced instrument to sport the wired frets rather that relying on bridge pickups for signal, this design greatly improved tracking over the old bridge pu design(so I've heard).

For the life of me I can't remember who developed the wired fret technology, but a couple of custom high end manufacturers still offer the setup as an option.

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Check out the AXON gear by Blue Chip - I'm using their pickup in conjunction with the Yamaha G50 and it works quite well. It's very similar to the Roland GK-2A kinda dealy - it's a pickup that attaches to the face of your 4,5 or 6 string bass and transfers the signal to MIDI.

You can check out some pictures on my site (the gallery) of my headless six-string that has one installed.

9. Thanks guys for your help and replies !!! However, Bruce thanks for your info, but I did know the history of these early systems, and they where absolutely terrible !!! Things are changing greatly and rapidly in this area with all the new systems, so I have to agree strongly with John Turner!!! What's going to happen not to far away, and it's the way I see it or in my opinion, soon you with have only one bass that will do all, because of these new systems and great quality bass sound samples. One's that are either preset or customised. So, if you want the Marcus Miller or Jaco sound; fretted or frettless; various tunings etc. You won't have to spend a huge sum on gear ( multiple instruments, effects and amps )to get these sounds. They will all be there at your foot switch !!! You could even have a combination of both natural and sample. I sure many of the big boys are seriously going down this road. I'm sure I'm starting to hear this in some recordings, but they're not saying much about it. Straight Pick-ups will probably be relics, in the next ten years. Well thats the way I am seeing it !!!

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

I'm intrested to see when we'll have digital preamp onboard. I can just imagine it: few small black buttons like
    in calculators, and a very small tiltable screen like in
    modern videocams where text is running in bright red: ..[sound emu: (on) file: (jacofl2.sef)] .. Ofcourse there are analog eq- and volumecontrols and a port thru which you can
    download new files from your pc.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So you'll only need one bass then! ;)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:

only one bass?

uh, waitaminute, i never said only one bass to do it all. uh, i need at least, uh, 9 basses to do it all. (shh, my girlfriend might hear you!!!) :eek: :D