Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone make a nice Ric clone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ole Jason, Jun 4, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'd like to have a Ric for recording but honestly I don't like them enough to warrant what the real thing is worth. Does anyone out there make decent clones?

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    nobody is allowed to make ric clones. If someone does the RIC employees get to walk into their factories with sledgehammers and smash every clone.

Ibanez made clones but RIC killed them.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rickenbacker is so protective of their designs, they even stop E-bay auctions of clones/copies.

They're pretty hardcore. And frankly, that's kind of cool. Also cool that while there are P and J and Ray clones out the butt, nobody cops a Ric.

Which is kinda cool to hold on to the only version of one of the 4 most famous basses/bass sounds ever (The others being Precision, Jazz, and Stingray). There are no "high end Rics" only the real deal.

4. Japanese ESP customshop might make one for you but it won't be cheap

and it'll look something like this (minus the fugly vomit inducing finish)

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

Sandberg will make you one! 1290 euro (~$1400)

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I love sandbergs basses too bad they don't sell them in california.

7. Exactamundo! :cool:

I think the original poster wants a copy cause he cant find himself needing an original. So there is no point showing those custom models cause he already said he didnt want to pay the price for a real Ric.(I dunno how much they would sound like a real Ric either :meh: ) If he has to spend over 1000$ for some copy to be made...he might as well spend that 1000$ and get a real Ric. ;)
    Nowhaimsayin? :D

If you want a clone...best bet is to watch your local pawn shops or Ebay (you will have to be quick, cause its usually only a matter of hours before they are takin down) And contact the seller via email.
    Good luck. :)

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IMO the design is definitely Ric-influenced.

[​IMG]

10. Yeah ok...now that i see it in a bigger picture i can see some similarities.
    How much do they usually run?

11. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah I'd feel like I was wasting a good bass if I had the real thing because I doubt I'd use it very often. That is pretty cool that they've held on to their design like that.

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Salwender has a few in stock and can order them
    for you. I played a couple today and was quite impressed.
    Here's the contact info:
    www.salwender.com

Slug