Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone make bushings for tuning pegs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassic83, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a neck that has the stock big-bore tuning peg holes, but want to use sealed-back tuners- Gotohs or Schallers. Does someone out there make an adapter or bushing or whatnot that would allow this conversion? Thanks in advance.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Anyone? I think the original holes are 11/16. The newer style posts are what, 3/8???

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you haven't bought them just yet, you can probably get some hipshots w/ the proper sized pegs,, this eliminating the need for a bushing.

4. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    I need some also. I believe they would be 11/16" OD X 9/16" ID.

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm now in the same boat -- have a neck with large bore tuning peg holes (for traditional elephant ear style pegs) but have a set of small bore Schallers. If nothing else, I'll fill the holes and redrill (dowel, glue, and additonal toothpicks etc....maybe some bondo to smooth it all out :) ), but I'd much rather have a tidier solution -- any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the project in progress:

Hamer/Arbor Frankenbass

80s Hamer Cruise body, Arbor neck (1-5/8's, 34" scale), Hamer's original Schaller hardware, WD pickguard, MightyMite MM pickup. The pink stuff is bondo I used to rebuild the lower portion of the neck pocket.

Cheers all!

ltt

6. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    Carvin sells bushings.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The ones we were looking for would fit the standard Fender-style hole (11/16"?) and have the inner diameter knocked down to fit the shaft of a Gotoh.

8. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yeah, I never found anything -- in the end it was a large dowel, glue and toothpicks...

[​IMG]

I used a table saw to trim the scraps down when everything had dried...didn't hit it perfectly and scarred the backside a tad, and the finish took a hit when I was sanding down the last surface...but all in all it worked...

[​IMG]

If I hadn't missed the center with that one peg, the fill-in work would have ben very tough to notice...but for a beaer it worked out.

A better job would have involved the right sized dowel, and a drill press. Ah well...

Cheers!

ltt