Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone need a new amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Jan 16, 2004.

1. well i was just lookin at ebay.ca and it amazingly had more than 1 bass amp on it. well i found a fender ps300 and i read a earlier thread about them that basically said if u see one jump on it. but unfortuanately i just bought a bxr 400 and iam only 14 and do not have the money. so heres the chance for someone to get a really really nice amp. 300 watts pure tube power.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2372591497&category=38074

2. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    wow, just based on the fact it's a 300w tube amp... I'd jump on it for that price. at the very least, you know it'll be loud. It looks like it's in great shape too, though I guess tube amps can be more picky than solid states. still. pretty nice.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No offense, but you are ditching a tube amp for a SOLID STATE AMP?!?!?!?!? HAVE YOU GONE MAD?!?!?!?!? :confused:

Might I add, that the BXR400 are reliable, but have a very bland tone.

4. i am not ditching anything i bought my bxr about a month ago if i had waited i defenitly would have got the ps300 i am temped to sell my amp and get this one.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh, I thought u were selling that PS300. Teehee sorry i'm a bit drunk. :p

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hey Ox...not to steal suasa's thread, but not everyone prefers tube amps to solid state. I recently tried out a friend's Alembic F1X against my two solid state preamps, and I much preferred the solid state preamps.

Granted, I thoroughly enjoyed the Marshall Major head that I used in the late '70s/early '80s and wish I didn't sell it, but my guess is that I'd like the sound of my current (solid state) rig much better.

I all comes down to personal preference.

7. There is a Trace Elliot V6 on Ebay (there are four total) if yo buy 2-V6's you get a free Anvil rack case to put them in!

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Alembic preamps can sound pretty different depending on what tube it has in it.
    Do you know which tube is in your friend's F-1X? It can make a lot of difference in the Alembic.

My F-2B came with Amperex's (W. German ones, not the Holland made ones), and it sounded so good I didn't think it could get any better (and I did try a few other brands too)...until I tried the Telefunkens, now they are the best I've ever tried.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have no idea... I'll have to find out.