1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Anyone NOT Care What Basses Their Favorite Bassists Play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StayLow, May 10, 2015.

1. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    The recent Rush/Geddy threads got me thinking about this.

EDIT: It's come to mind during many of the endorsement threads too.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. Couldn't care less what any bassist whether my fav or not uses. There's a sound I want and I get it with my bass and my amp. What the rest of the world does doesn't affect my sound one way or another. The only way the rest of the world can affect me is if they are on my lawn.:eyebrow:

Mr Gaston, Jack MN, Robroy and 10 others like this.
  3. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    Yup. I don't care.

4. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Yes.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Does it ruin my enjoyment of a band if they play a bass I don't like? Not in the slightest. I keep up with what people are using only on a "hmmm...that's interesting" basis, otherwise I really don't care.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I don't care.

I have no pre-conceived notion that if I buy a bass like theirs, it will somehow transfer their tones and skills into my repertoire.

topcat2069, Jack MN, wmhill and 3 others like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I care much less than I used to. Certain bassists pretty much always use the same bass, so I expect that tone when I hear them, but I don't have as strong an urge to get someone else's sound anymore. That said, I am on a Robert Wilson (Gap Band) kick, so I am about to plug in my P5.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Not at all.

I think it would be cool to see things like Geddy playing a fretless Fodera, Steve Harris playing a singlecut with rounds and something out there like John Myung playing a Hofner with flats, but I would never buy a bass because one of my favorite players uses/endorses it.

Good example.... I love JPJ and saw him with Them Crooked Vultures a few years back. Jones played some weird stuff but his main basses are Mansons. I wouldn't even know where to start if I want to buy/try one, but I have no interest anyways.

A famous player playing a weird or different bass may peak my interest in checking out the brand, but I would never buy one just based on a player using one.

kaba7a likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  10. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    no...

11. Interesting question. Personally it's not a big deal to me. How they play: attitude, technique etc etc....they're all much more important. I don't often get too involved in the instrument itself.

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Do I care in a way that I'd be compelled to get one? No, not really.
    Do I check out what gear they use and find it interesting? Yup.

Luckily for me, I'm very picky about my basses, and that cured me of a lot of bass GAS. Just give me a passive PJ, P or J and I'm good.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Yeah, I know who they are from a couple of Bass Mag reviews, but just no interest.

14. ive never Bought basses because a particular person plays them. Never owned a single signature bass. But I will say I have gotten into some brands because of my favorite players. For example back when I got my warwicks the only person I knew who played them was Pnut from 311. But I've never been a fan of streamers and ended up liking thumb basses a lot more. But if it wasn't for Pnut I probably never would have tried out that first thumb bass in the store. As for all my musicmans there wasn't one particular player. I just knew every time I saw a stingray onstage I liked how the bass sounded.

mouthmw likes this.
  15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yeah man, I'm a huge JPJ fan (being in a Led Zep tribute band, I better be!), and loved his old days live tones he'd get, but man, I really don't dig his Manson bass tone. The fretless P he used on Celebration Day sounded so much better to me..

winterburn69 and The Nameless like this.
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't know what basses are played on records or what different bass players play. I would assume most notable players have a collection of different basses to choose from. Either way, I'm more interested in the bass lines than the instruments.

Jack MN, kodiakblair and mouthmw like this.
  17. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Being a huge Rush fan and a bassist, I can say without hesitation that what Geddy plays has never once influenced my decision. I play a P bass and would never mess with a Jazz or Rick since the jazz is too small for my hands and the Rick.....well....let's just say I don't find them to be worth their asking price.

TimboZ likes this.
  18. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I'm not sure it's possible to completely "not care." I mean, if you follow a particular bassist, you're likely to become aware of his/her equipment preferences, so in a sense, that's "caring." Whether or not you elect to fall victim to "I've Got To Get Me One Of Those" Syndrome, well, that's a completely different story.

mikeyjm2, kaba7a and mouthmw like this.
  19. s2bs2

s2bs2

Apr 1, 2009
    Sonoma, CA.
    my favorite electric rock player is Dan K Brown from the Fixx. He plays a 5sting Steinberger.
    I'm not that into 5strings or Steinbergers, (especially because strings are so hard to come by for them, or so I've read) but I also love John Taylor from Duran Duran, and if I saw an Aria pro II for a reasonable price, I would snatch that up!

jg42, blindrabbit, el basso and 3 others like this.
  20. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Yeah, I seriously couldn't care less what other bassist, famous faves or not, are playing. Some of my favorite bassists play Fenders, Musicman, & Ibanez basses and I have exactly ZERO interest in any of those brands. :thumbsup: