Does anyone NOT like their Marcus Miller bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 27, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new MM sig bass. I've read umpteen million threads about how awesome the bass is, so I have to ask -

Does anyone NOT like theirs? Anything go wrong with it? Bad wiring? Poor construction? Implosions? Anything?
  2. I don't like the MM at all, I played one for a while at GC and didn't like it.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    But you don't have one, there for you don't count! :spit:
    I love mine :D
  4. JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    I love mine, I love its sound, I love its playability.

however, I'm having some issues with it right now =/
    the wire used is apparently cheap, and came unattached, and then decided to come unattached the day after I got my luthier to solder it.

But, I still love it, just a little hurdle in the relationship right now. =)
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I used to own one. It was decently made, but I didn't like the super-bright tone and heavy ash body.

Also -- at least on the one I had -- the preamp doesn't automatically turn off when you unplug - you have to manually throw the switch to turn it off.
  6. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    I love mine. It's definetly given me some headaches over the last few years, but it's been worth it all the way. It's a bit heavy, but it makes up for it with loads of tone.

Not a great rock bass, however...
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You sir like myself had an older one, Earlier MM basses came from Fender with a wiring problem. No matter if the bass was plugged in or not if you left the toogle switch on it drained the battery. mine used to do this! Not only that but the switch did not bypass the pre-amp it just made it flat. Bartolini has a wiring fix for these basses, it's a modification that allows the bass to be played in "true" passive mode and corrects the battery drain problem. I have done this modification myself to outstanding results! I'm not sure if the newer MM basses have been corrected but from what I hear they have.
  8. SuperDuck,
    I've had mine for about 3 month's, and I really dig it!. Some folk's don't like the Fender Pre, but That's YOUR call. It'll get you pretty close to THAT tone, (you know who's!), but it sound's like a what a Very good Fender 70's model should sound like. Passive is very good, if you don't mind not having the mid control. And the active sizzles a little, but I just roll off the high's a bit. And in the future, you can alway's replace the pre-amp with a Aquilar or a J-Retro.

Now the feel and construction is top shelf. It's a heavy bass, but that's Ash/Maple for ya! It's got to feel heavy to be what it's suppose to be. The neck is slim, and who does'nt like block inlay's?

Check it out again, stop, think for about 10 secs., and pull the trigger! Join the Club!

Bobbo 77'
  9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I like mine too. As others say, a bit heavy, but I love the tones it is capable of and it is very easy to play, the lowest action of any of my basses. Good looking too. If there is anything I don't like its the reverse tuning keys. They're kind of hard to turn, making tuning a bit difficult. it stays in tune pretty well so not really an issue.
  10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I tried to play one at a GC once but I couldn't, there was some weird slab of metal covering the strings. I don't know what the hell that thing was, but it made it impossible to play.
  11. The Marcus Miller is an excellent instrument. It is made in Japan, witch makes it as good as an American made except its better. Its a beautiful instrument too. The tone is great. Heavy? Yes. The E string seems to be louder than the rest too. Some guys go for the Sadowsky pre to replace the Fender pre and that gives a tone control in passive mode. The bass does not have a tone control in passive mode but some dont care because they use the pre all the time.
  12. Great Great bass and if you ever get sick of it (which you wont) replace the pre-amp with a Sadowsky one nad it'll be gold
  13. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Pickup cover?
    MM's come standard with those, but I guess you can take them off pretty easy
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I actually liked that thing.

Like Marcus, I felt it helped a lot with double thumping; by resting the edge of my palm against it, I could maintain a consistent distance between my thumb and the strings. Kind of like an inverse Willis ramp.
  15. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I used to do that also but ended up removing it. Marcus left that cover on his bass because one of his favorites (Jermaine Jackson) played that way, just notice any old J5 footage the covers are on. Marcus also like a lot of us had the big afro as a kid :)
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I liked it alot, haven't bought one yet, but I do intend to one day. Love the feel, especially the neck, and the tone is nice, however, I fear I would be forced to throw a MM U-Retro in that sucker.
  17. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    ive never played one myself but a friend has one and he loves it, even though he finds it a bit heavy and doesnt like the active sound.