Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone not listen to what they play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jun 17, 2005.

1. I mean, in the bands I'm in right now, we play alot of punk-rockish stuff, which I absolutely love to play. However, I don't own one album similar to what we play. I mean, I don't even listen to anything remotely similar. I like alot of bluegrass and jazz stuff, and structured jam bands like The Flecktones and Dave Matthews Band.

Our stuff is very Rufio/Blink182 esque, I love playing it. But I'd never listen to it. Anyone share this sentiment, no matter what genres are in question?

2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    btdt.
    i was in a band that didn't have a soundalike 'signed' band when i was back in boston...(tic...if you ever heard 'red sox blues' on 'zlx or the river, that was us)
    i listen to whatever gets me going, regardless of genre.
    having said that, when i do more jazz, i do listen to more jazz. i have to get my mind primed
    and...when i play the pit for musicals, i do play to the musical on cd or mp3.
    now that i play in a more radio friendly modern rock band, i still don't listen to any more pop than i ever did, because what we do is very pocket oriented, and there are 'parts'.
    so, to make a short story long, i guess i do some related listening, but not religiously.
    ps...'old and in the way', along with 'grateful dawg'.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I played sax in a community band. I loved it, but I would never listen to that type of music by choice.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Far too many people who own instruments.

Far too many...

5. I guess for me, its a case of being a music nutter. I listen to and appreciate just about any kind of music, as long as its well done.

Sure, I listen to the music genre that our band plays, but I also listen to tons of other styles, from hardcore to jazz and all in between.

IMHO, being a music listener rather than a music snob makes me ultimately a better musician.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've done it many times. My current band included....although there was a time I listened to all of it regularly. I still love the music, but it was fresh to me 20+ years ago so none of it is in rotation.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Heh, I'm a jazz man on bass, but I rarely listen to any standards at all. I figure standards are like blues; fun to play, boring to listen to (on an album, anyway). When I go to listen to jazz, I turn on some Rippingtons, Tribal Tech, Stanley Clarke, Dave Weckl, etc.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In the classic rock cover band I was in, we did a lot of songs I hated: That's gotta count for something. Plus it was all the radio hits I never listened to. I like a lot of the classics. But highway to hell kinda loses it's edge after a while.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The music I make is nothing like the music I listen to. Barring some exceptions here and there.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Most of my playing is done in jazz band... and i love playing it.

jazz sucks.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I listen to the music I play onstage because I want to do the best version of the song that I can. I do not however, buy or collect much of the music that we do cover.

I do enjoy at least getting paid to cover music I can't stand.

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    For the cover bands I've been in.. I usually only listen to the stuff so I can actually play it similar to the original. Sometimes I don't know the original but play what I think fits and my bandmembers like it.
    But if you are talking about original music, it has happened that I don't listen to it, but I have usually played music I like.

13. Oh fer god sakes, you know what I'm saying

14. Man you got Fuqua'd solid, I laughed hard at that.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, thank God too many people own instruments. That keeps the price down for the rest of us!

16. I hear you!! :p
    I like blues and jazz and end up playing classic and Southern rock. My husband really dislikes country and Southern rock, and that's what his band has gone to in the last year. :meh: