1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

does anyone own a 6x10? advice please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NZBassman, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I'm looking at buying this rig 2nd hand
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=573655544
    mainly for the cabinet - it's 4 ohms and would pump out a good sound for my Rock Covers band
    I already have a Profet 5.1 head and a matching 4x10, but have had problems with the head recently.
    my thinking is I can sell my existing rig and the Profet 5.1 on this rig and buy a really good amp to drive the 6x10

my only issue is size / weight.
    My 4x10 is around 34kgs and that is heavy enough, but the 6x10 is 62kgs according to the seller.
    it will fit in my car and in pretty much all the venues we play in, but I'm wondering if I will get sick and tired of carting around a big 6x10 (especially to rehearsals!)

does anyone else have a 6x10 or similar cabinet and have any issues with the size weight?

2. I had an swr 6x10 around 2000 or 2001. I have stayed away from them for a while because the tilt back and roll design. that two wheel design is ok with an 810 but with - 610 or a 410 like the 410hlf it sucks because the cabs are to low to have to move that way

I use one 410 cab with 4 wheels stacked on top of my rack. It's easier to move and its right next to my head so is loud as all get out to me but doesn't cause issues with sound guys or my bandmates.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I use a WTX 264 but I had a Goliath Senior. Nothing else sounded like that cab.

This will be heavy but if you're looking to impress give it a shot. If you have a hatch back they aren't as bad as they look.

It sounds like a bargain.

4. I own and use an Ampeg 610 for 90% of my gigs. I too am in a loud cover band and need to move a lot of air. I love it. I honestly can't go back to a single 410 ever again. I have tried. But there is no 410 that can cover my needs. And I don't want to get into hauling 2 410's to my gigs. My 610 is big and heavy around 100lbs but it's on tilt back wheels and I put casters on the back top of the cab so I can just roll it into my car and roll it out. I can get it in and out of my car by myself even though it's nice to have help. My back doesn't like it but I have learned to pick it up the right way.
    And having a hatch back and a SUV does help in hauling it.
    I gotta say there is no other sound than a 610. It fills the stage and the what ever room I perform in. And I love the fact that it's 4 ohms and will bring out the full power of my amp. I say if you can haul it then go for it. Good luck.

5. ^^^ :) I said the exact same thing about my 810. Really though if you get a 410 and elevate it so its closer to the level of your head it'll sound louder than a 610 blowing most of its sound by your knees and waist.

6. +1

I have the same cab the Ampeg 610 and a Markbass 610. The Ampeg is hevier then that cab you are considering. I havd had no problems going anywhere with it, I play in a park and some times off the side walk in to the grass no problem. It sounds great, my Markbass cab is lighter then both cabs, but it has carpet in stead of truck liner covering it.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a 6x10 or a compact 2x15 seem like the smallest single "big cabs", to where they draw full power out of typical amps and you don't want for another one for loud gigs.

(at least until you get into esoteric stuff like the fEARfuls.)

8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    As a Bergantino NV610 owner I can say I've never played thru a better cab. I have a bad back and messed up shoulder and don't have any problems lifting the cab in or out of my SUV. The tilt back feature makes it easy to roll once on the ground or going up or down stairs. I've honestly had 2x10 combos that were more difficult to move than my 610. I say go for it, few things sound better than a good 610 with a powerful tube amp.

9. acmebass

acmebass Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    Owner/Designer, Acme Sound/Acme Low B
    Just speaking for myself, the main reason I've always resisted 3x10 and 6x10 models is because it's impossible to wire them for 4 or 8 ohms, unless you use a driver with a custom impedance of, say, 2.67 ohms or 5.33 ohms.

A lot of amps can handle an impedance of 2 ohms, which would be a good match for a cab of 2.67 ohms, but that would be a cab which would be unusable with most amps.

Speakers using 3 or 6 drivers just have too many real-world practical problems, regardless of how they sound.

Thanks,
    Andy

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Exact same thing I was going to post, with just a few small details changed. The NV610 is a bit thinner and smaller than most 6X10s, and because of that it fits perfectly in the trunk of this:

[​IMG]

Once I figured out how to get in in :), it became as easy as any other amp I every owned to do. Getting it out was never any problem at all. The tilt and pull deal makes it so I can walk it anywhere with one hand. I love this cabinet.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My 610 is easier to transport and load onstage than my 15 was. Tilt back is more convenient than four casters and a straight lift.

12. thanks for the replies guys... I forgot to mention that the amp / cab in question is in $NZ! Unfortunately I have to wait until I get a job and finances improve before I can buy anything :-(