Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone own an acoustic 204??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass4820, Jan 6, 2005.

1. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    i just picked up an old dirty 70's acoustic 204 cab,from a coffeehouse that was using it as a piece of furniture. i bought it from them for 30 bucks.
    It has 4 12" in a sealed enclosure that weighs about 100 pounds.
    I was totally blown away by the sound for being so old,(30+years) it has very big bottom end. It sounds similar to the vintage ampeg 810's, very grinding and punchy.

does anyone else own one of these vintage beasts??? please describe what you think these sound like!! and what you paid for them? i couldn't pass this deal up! although if i was married, i don't think my wife would have let me bought it! since it has some history on it!

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    wow $30 for a piece of history. Score. Now sell it to some kid for a subwoofer in his Hummer for $400.

3. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    unfortunately, now i am getting quite covetous of this beat up cab. playing with my 70's ampeg v4, it pumps the bass very nice! :bassist:

now why do i have gas for anything thats vintage and under 100 dollars????

4. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I have few acoustic amps and few acoustic cabs.
    I don't trust in anything else. My keyboard player actually uses one of my amps. He loves it. He uses my home made cab with 2 12" speakers I found on e-bay for $19 each!

But, the thing is: that cabinet is 150 pounds! I built it based on some acoustic drowings and add some of my ideas. All together didn't cost me more than $50!

5. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    yea those old acoustics all weigh alot, the only reason why i bought it was because it matches my acoutstic 450 head (which i bought at guitar center for 30 dollars), but come to find out, its a rockin cab. just another amp to add to the vintage collection...