Does anyone own/play an Ibanez EDA905

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pc, May 16, 2001.

1. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    They have fishman piezos + EQ... :cool:

How do they sound?

2. I played one of those at the Guitar Center Saturday. Unfortunately I didn't have time to plug it in. I was there buying an Ibanez BTB1005.

The 905 felt great. It was heavy, had real good action, the notes were felt through the whole body. It also has that cool Mono Rail II bridge like my BTB.

I liked it, I think it looks cool too! I think Ibanez is putting a little more effort into their basses this year.

IMHO, Ibanez should discontinue the whole Sound Gear series design something new to replace them.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    They atleast look great.. Not your usual Jazz-copy :cool: Yup Ibanez seems to be making a comeback,
    perhaps they do luthite ATK next ;)

SR series seems to be the only Ibanez that people don't like. Too bad it's their most known model.
  4. Bass Player has a review of the EDA905 in their June issue (Marcus Miller on the cover). Ignore the numbers: they didn't like the tone except in the ultra-useless scooped-mid-Korn-sound territory. The playability was good, though.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had a chance to play the EDA900. Not bad for the price, but even with the piezos on full, it isn't super-bright, something to keep in mind if you do a lot of slapping. I think the luthite body tends to suck up high frequencies and emphasize low mids. It was generally well built, though an edge on the neck pocket looked slightly ragged and some of the fretboard markers (on the side) were a little messed up.

The body style, while very comfortable sitting or standing, is an acquired taste.
  6. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I just played one today...I LOVED IT!!! One of the coolest basses I've ever played. No offense, Chris, but I have no clue what you're talking about...not Super Bright?!? Dear God...thought my ears were gunna bleed!! I had to turn the piezo down! All you have to do is play on anything that has a tweeter or a horn. Extremely versitile. Everything from Korn (I resent the "Ultra-useless" remark...)to jazz. Just turn the piezo down some and you're playing old school Metallica. I'm probably getting one for graduation. Anyway, it sounds phat!!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
  7. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I had to no problem with highs on the EDA I played. I liked it a lot actually(sound+playability), the B is kind of 'eh' though. I despise the looks of this bass, especially the lettering near the bridge, :gags:.
  8. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    That is the ugliest POS i've seen in my life.
  9. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    pos is piece of sh*t in a short form and i agree that is one ugly ass bass i really dont like when companys put their name on the boday the only bass that should have that is a headless if its got a a head on it put the name there. i think the only people who should buy this bass are those people in a band thats all about image (not to mention a gay one) like orgy or other space trend metal wannabee bands i wouldnt bother and get your self a real bass (one made of wood not plastic)
  10. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Ever played one, hombre?
  11. Yeah, that was another thing: BP mentioned the floppy B. Not good.
  12. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    yes i have played one at gc but i didnt want to degrade myself by plugging in such a horrible looking bass. but with out amplification the b was not tight it was loose and sloppy and the frets were really bad they stuck out too much and it felt like they would cut your hand if you were to do a fast slide across them plus it felt awkward holding it (and i play a warlock so if it feels weird to me its got to be f****d up) i wouldnt buy one if you feel the need to get a ibanez get a btb or atk anything else with their name id stay away
  13. Yeah, don't you just hate those gays. Not to mention blacks, asians, and hispanics.
  14. I consider any tone that doesn't let you hear what notes you're actually playing to be useless.

My tone (not my EQ curve, I'm talking about everything from my hands to the speakers) is kinda like a tilde (~), but tilted somewhat upward--just enough bass, lots of low midrange and tons of treble. It sounds like **** soloed, but underneath guitars and drums it kills. Fingerstyle is snarly, slapping clanky yet articulate, and pickstyle--whoa mama.

Back in my Jazz Bass days, I used to be a mid-scooper. I always wondered why I had to turn my amp up so high.

If you want to treat your bass as a glorified kick drum, go ahead and scoop those mids, but I think it's a lot more valuable to take advantage of the instrument's harmonic and melodic potential as well.
  15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll second that. The bridge looks kind of interesting, although it'd probably turn out more annoying than anything. And the tuners are inverted, and look really goofy. While the body's basic Ibanez...

Overall, I'd try it out and see what it's like for my own. But on the looks scale from 1-10 I'd give it a 3. (anything below 3 would just be B.C. Rich territory. (bassheavy ;) ))
  16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    When I first read about that bass on a bass tab website, I rushed right out to find out all I could about it. I had someone quote me a great price on one, but since then, I lost my funding.
  17. My new BTB1005 has the same kind of bridge and it is far from annoying. I love it!

I think the 905 looks cool. I would hate to have to look at it every day but I wouldn't mind seeing it at the music store every now and again.

PC, be sure and play one of these for yourself. There are a lot of Ibanez biggots on this forum and I think a lot of the opinions don't come from personal experience. I have owned a ATK300 (excellent bass) and now have a BTB (awesome bass) and give Ibanez "9 thumbs up" on both of them.

However, let the record show, I do not like the Sound Gear series. Blaaahhh!!
  18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I agree. I think They should make the BTB series their standard seried (like soundgears are now)

Ideally, they's bring the old Musician bass back too. Now that was a good bass.

Will C.:cool:
  19. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
  20. Me and my Musician could not agree with you more!

Mike J.