Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone own the Fender® Mark Hoppus Signature Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThAt duDe, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    I just recently wanted to switch from guitar to bass. I just loved the sound and feel of the bass guitar, and now I am looking for a good bass guitar.

I heard the Fender Jazz basses were very good, regardless of music style. So I looked into them and saw that Mark Hoppus of blink-182 designed his custom signature bass out of the Fender Jazz bass.

Being a fan of blink and seeing that it is basically a jazz bass I was interested. The reviews were all very good, but a bit limited in number. So I was hoping that maybe someone on this site could fill me in on the spes for this guitar.

Thanx.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hi, welcome to talkbass.

Try using the search function at the top of the page (or just click this link).

aLsO If YoU cOnTiNuE tO tYpE lIkE tHiS, im going to slap you.

You have been warned :)

enjoy your stay. :ninja:

3. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    ThIS tYpiNg is just for my sn, so no need to smack me in the face...

Sorry, I will use the search option next time.

4. And for the record the hoppus bass is a precision with the body of a jazz it will sound like a precision, look at the pick-ups not the shape. :)

5. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    I've searched around and it seems like not many people like the name Mark Hoppus here, do they?

If so that means I don't think I can get a clear answer out of any of you if most of the members are Mark bashers. If you don't like Mark, thats your personal opinoin, but I just want to know how this baby sounds and feels in action.

And if you disagree with this guitar, could you please name a few that are worth the money?

Thanx.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    If you are looking to get a first bass, the Hoppus bass might have the "cool factor" for onstage, but in reality, it's a one-trick pony. I'd look into a Fender Jazz, at least in a coupla three years or so, if you get tired of the bass you would at least have something that had some value to it. The Hoppus is a marketing ploy designed to get kids into an instrument, only to find out that it won't fit your needs later on, therefore, you have to go buy another. This is just the beginning of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It only gets worse from there, buddy!

At least consider a model of bass that has two pickups- there is a LOT more tones that could save your bacon on a gig someday. If not a Fender Jazz, perhaps something else. Just make sure whatever you get, it's comfortable. If it feels good, check out its sound. If it sounds good, feels good, then do you like it's looks? If it looks good, sounds good, and feels good, you may have a winner!

P.S.- NEVER pay what they are asking on the sticker at GC. They have PLENTY of wiggle room on the price. Start offering 35% off the sticker, and haggle from there.

7. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    Thanx man, that was the only helpful reply I have gotten in this thread...

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    With remarks like that, people might not exactly be ENCOURAGED to help you.

A Fender Jazz is a more versatile bass than the Mark Hoppus bass. The Mark Hoppus sig is essentially a Fender precision bass, with Seymour Duncan pickups, in a Jazz bass body.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    No problem- just passing on the knowledge! I was helped out way too many times by way too many pros to not pass it on! :D

10. If you like the hoppus tone you might be happier with a p-j bass that way you can have more tones and the p tone you like.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    People are quick to bag on someone around here... Remember the Beverly Hills kid, w/ the tricked out camaro, & the Pedulla???

12. i have to stand up for the precision bass. i don't think it's a one-trick pony, nor is it a bass that is bad for beginners. i don't think going for a jazz bass is necessarily the right thing to do -- particularly if he's trying to emulate mark hoppus and isn't playing a cover gig where several different tones are needed.

i started out on a precision bass, and at this point i'd rather own a precision bass than a jazz -- i sold my standard jazz and kept my P copy. i've played a hoppus and found the tones to be very pleasing and biting. i enjoyed it thoroughly, but ultimately the body shape and neck profile weren't for me. as much as like a precision, i prefer the neck of a jazz. but i also prefer the precision body shape.

robb.

13. I really like the tone and feel of j basses, but i don't think that it automaticly eliminates the P bass as a suitable bass. I think a P Bass is perfect for beginners/pro's alike. They are simply two different styles, thats it. If i was in your shoe's i'd pick up a regular P bass if you like the Hoppus sound/style. Don't be sold on the Sig factor of the bass. If you can take a Hoppus for a spin do it and check to see what pleases you.

Hope that helps at all,
    Dan

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    They are talking about the Hoppus P, not Ps in general (which are awesome). Hoppus=1 trick pony because of the knobs (the lack of them on the bass, and the designer).

You want a good Fender sig. bass with the same P ups as the Hoppus? Track down a Steve Harris Sig *drool*.

15. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    cAliForNIa
    Actually... I like the hoppus because the guitar is shaped like a Jazz Bass (which I like), but has the pick-up design and sound of the P Bass(which I like)....

I'm saying that i there was another Fender that fitted that description, I'd buy it, but I don't see one...

16. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    I myself recently switched from guitar(after playing 22 years) to bass -wish that I would have done it sooner! :cool: I did a lot of 'homework' before my first buy. I almost wish that I would have taken even more time, but the G.A.S. took me over and I had to get something!

I ended up getting a Jazz myself, but maybe that's not for you? If I were you go out and play as many different basses as you can and find one that is: comfortable(neck play, weight) and suits your style and sound.

What's your price range? If it's low then just buy a nice used bass or even a new 'imitation' bass - Dillion(Jazz), OLP(Stingray), SX(Jazz), etc. If you have a nice amount of clams then use them wisely. Buying a nice mid/upper-range instrument is kinda like buying a house IMO. Once you've decided it's time to 'move out'(ie sell your bass for some other bass) what's the likelyhood that someone else is going to want that bass(home)? I think that if you get a Hoppus then you'll not only have a hard time moving it, but you'll be eating the $$$ that you paid for it because I'm positive that it's resale value won't hold compared to many other basses. Just some food for thought. From my homework/advice and experience thus far I would say look at used Fenders(American or Japanese), used Musicman Stingrays, used G&L SB-2(I want one of these soon) or a new G&L Tribute L-2000 or SB-2. Not only will they be quality instruments, but once you want to 'move out and up' to another bass you'll have more interest in the 'property' from prospective buyers who will be willing to pay at or close to what the market is at for that particular bass.

Good luck!

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The Hoppus bass is supposedly overpriced and a worthless hunk of ****zvah (Yiddish is okay.. right?). I didn't believe it until I tried it out myself.. Horrible tone, horrible design, and just plain icky.

18. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Unfortunately, this tends to be the case with alot of 'Signature' instruments. They tend to use crap parts and push the name. The only 'signature' instruments that I've ever seen live up to their name and value are the Leo Kottke 12 & 6 string guitars that Taylor puts out - fine parts, craftsmanship, etc.

19. Nope, you're right. That's the only one.

20. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    If you like the sound feel of it and even mark get it. But, most people that like it thinks mark is a talented man. All mark does it place the roots and gets the job done! Its up to you man.

ps!! you made the right choice switching guitar to bass, bass is better@!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.