1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone play Bagpipes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hdracer, May 16, 2011.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    This may sound odd but there is a set of bagpipes for sale at a great price and I have terrible GAS to buy them! :meh:

I was wondering how hard it is to learn to play them. I played brass
    & woodwinds when I was young.

If nothing else I know I could annoy the heck out of my neighbors with them.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Not this West Coast Kid.

I was born in the wrong country

3. Blisterfinger

Blisterfinger

Feb 13, 2011
    Ireland.
    I play the Uilleann pipes, similar to the bagpipes but with no mouth piece, instead using a bellows strapped to my elbow to force air into the bag.
    They were really hard to get going with but if you practice enough they're really not that difficult.
    I don't have any experience with the bagpipes however...

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I think finding a teacher would be hard.
    It's not like I can go on Ultimate Guitar and find some tabs.....

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think finding a teacher wouldn't be too difficult. Surely there are Scottish heritage groups or something of the like in most places. Not having an easy way out like tabs would be a positive thing too

7. I've always wanted to play bagpipes. But I don't want to walk around in a kilt. :ninja:

8. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i have a set. i can play the chanter just fine by itself, the whole thing is near impossible (cheap reeds i'm told). i believe it may be the most physically challenging instrument i've ever tried. if it's a decent set i say go for it. i love the sound of bagpipes.

9. Blisterfinger

Blisterfinger

Feb 13, 2011
    Ireland.
    Well before you buy an actual set you'll have to get yourself a practice chanter. They're generally made with plastic and help you get used to the spacing and notes of the chanter's scale. Look them up, they're surely easy to find.

10. Melo

Melo

Feb 19, 2007
    Snohomish, WA
    I used to be in a Pipe band and played them for a number of years. I still have a set.

They only have 8 notes, so learning to play a few songs should not be much of a problem.
    The hard part about playing them is developing the required mussles to keep the bag full of air. You would be supprised how quickly your cheeks/lips run out of streight. So, it's like working out - if you do it all the time, no problem.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Back in college, there was a guy teaching bagpipes. He was wandering around campus in full regalia trying to recruit people for the class. My buddy asked if wearing a kilt was mandatory. Without losing a beat, he replied "no, but it helps you get chicks!" :D

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    But that's the best part!

He said he will throw one in with them along with a box of reeds

13. Stickers

Stickers

Jan 27, 2011
    I play now...bass is actually my second instrument, so to speak. The hardest instrument to play, in my opinion. The pipes really can't be learned out of a book or without help, so find an instructor. I would recommend looking up a local pipe band on the net, and finding an instructor there--the bands always have someone to teach; they want you to get hooked and join!

14. I wish I knew how to play them, I would love to learn....