does anyone play guitar

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jerryoram, Sep 12, 2002.

1. jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    interested if anyone plays guitar if so what ,I`m looking for an all-round guitar for blues jazz what do you recommend (bass is the place in my heart)
  2. Punk_311

Punk_311 Guest

Aug 4, 2001
    Electric Ladyland
    I use strats. They are good. You can't go wrong with them. They have many different tones. :) .
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Japan-made Fenders are good moneywise. Especially if you manage to find a used geetar from 80's.
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use an SG most of the time, but if I absolutely need that single coil sound I've got a few older G&Ls or Fenders to choose from.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I use a Strat, and for all intensive purposes, only use the neck pickup. Sometimes I'll use Neck/Middle, but the neck pickup with the tone rolled off a touch will give you a great jazz tone and THE blues tone.

If you want an affordable hollow-body, try the Kramer NightRider at My geetar-playin' buddy has one, and it's an excellent value. Made in the US, coil tap, two humbuckers for that... humbucker sound. Both the Strat and the NightRider are in the $300 range.
  6. I would go with a Gibson hollow or semi-hollow. Course, they ain't gonna be cheap. But they definetly have that Delta Blues sound.

Or you could go with Gretch, or maybe Guild. Hollow or semi hollow is, IMHO, the way to go for blues.

Rock on
  7. Boy, it's funny you posted this thread, I'm getting ready to buy another guitar. (not a bass) I'll come back later after work and post links to the 4 I narrowed it down to.

Mike J.
  8. The neck pup on a strat is one of the greatest electric guitar sounds out. Love it!

However, I'd go for a Tele if I was going for another electric.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I use Teles and my friend's Les Paul. I only play guitar when I'm writing.
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a Strat so would recommend one but for jazz I would consider a semi-acoustic Gibson. You have to get one of each, it would be rude not to.

The 'blues' sound regardless of what guitar you use is basically a low gain valve (tube) amp at the edge of breakup (single note clean. double stop dirt).

Strat neck pickup Vox or Fender amp-sorted
  11. Here's the four I'm considering:

I like 'em all, but, that Dean keeps calling out to me.
    I insist on humbuckers for two reasons:
    1.) I already have a guitar with single coils, but, the humming drives me crazy. Otherwise it sounds great.
    2.) I like the sound of warm humbuckers when used for Blues/Jazz.

If anyone wants to check out the guitars themselves, here are their respective sites.

You can also read reviews on 'em at:

Real Gibsons are too high priced, and I like Schecter guitars in general; they're almost exactly like a Fender, but, with a different slant and a reasonable price.

I really think I'm going to get the Dean. We shall see.

Opinions, anyone?

Mike J.
  12. I say get a tele...cause thats what I own, and uh....yeah. Pop some Seymour Duncans in there regardless of what guitar you get :D
  13. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I was all set to get a Gibson Blueshawk,but since it has a small,semi-hollow body and no upper horn the neck-dive was something I didn't want to deal with.I got a Strat.Another one to consider if your doing a lot of Jazz is the Epiphone Sheriton II or the Dot,they're cheap versions of the Gibson ES-335.If feedback is a problem,get something without "F" holes like the "Lucille",I think Gibson and Epiphone both have their own version of that.The I banez Artstar is a great guitar,I fell in love with a used one once,but didn't have an excuse to get another guitar.The Artstar I played had a very thin (front to back)neck profile,like a flattened"D",My friend's Sheriton II is a bit thicker.
  14. A Strat is NOT what comes to mind when I think of "all around guitar for blues/jazz". I own one, but it's strictly my fusion guitar. I also own an Ibanez Artist, and that's the guitar I would recomend. Really versatile, and plays amazingly well.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Gibson Les Paul JR.

Less expensive than the regular Les Pauls plus they feature P-90 single coils which I prefer anyways.