1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone play orchesrta instruments?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soadert, Sep 8, 2008.

1. soadert

soadert

Sep 6, 2008
    Does anyone here play an orchestra instrument? I do.

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Does Double Bass count? If so, yes. I played cello in Middle School.

3. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I wish, it is too late to join an orchestra class for me. (In High School)

4. Tejano Joveno

Tejano Joveno

Jun 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Just stringed instruments? If not then I've been playing tuba since I was twelve, ( coming up on five years now.)

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I was a graduate french horn performance major. Played in several professional orchestras.

6. Double Bass? yes.

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I played flute from 4th grade through junior high; then played double bass and tympani in my high school orchestra.

These days I just compose (and, under extreme duress, conduct) for orchestras.

8. Played orchestral upright bass in Jr High and High school....hadn't touched one in years, but took the chance to sit in with a bluegrass group a few weeks ago and had a ball playing upright with them for a number or two.

9. i playd baritone for a few years, its not rly mah thang anymore, altho it is a very nice instrument.

10. I play cello and this year we don't have anyone to play UB, so I'm gonna fill in and learn some upright! :D

11. I play the viola in the orchestra at Clemson University.

12. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Do you mean baritone horn (aka Euphonium or Peck Horn), or baritone saxophone?

I always wanted to play a smaller Peck Horn...love what Django Bates does with that instrument.

13. I majored on bassoon in college. Haven't used it for quite a lot of years, though. Would have to work my lip up again...

Having too much fun playing bass!:bassist::hyper:

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sure. Think about it. If nobody played orchestra instruments, I guess there wouldn't be any orchestras, would there?

15. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Way back in highschool I was "lead percussionist" and ran around playing all sorts of different percussion instruments (often many different things in single songs/movements/whatev), spent most of my time playing Timpani though... which can be suprisingly difficult. Especially since we had no tuners on the ones I used and, unbeknownst to most non-percussionists, the timpani drums have a pedal that tightens and loosens the head to achieve different pitches and are often retuned multiple times in a single song. Let's just say it was some hardcore ear-training having to retune the drums by ear with an entire orchestra playing at the same time.

16. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've been a 1st chair oboist since age 11. I'm not playing with an orchestra these days, but I still keep up my chops and I get called for seasonal orchestral shows on occasion. Bass is the love of my life, but the oboe payed my way through music college, and that's where I really developed as a bassist.