1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Anyone Play the head to "Freedom Jazz Dance"?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by musicman5string, Oct 15, 2006.

1. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    I used to play this on electric, inspired by Jaco's version. Hard. Real hard head. Then I heard Miroslav Vitous' play it on upright....Jeezuz.....at a pretty qucik clip too.

Can anyone here actually play it on upright? I've tried but it seems like a mountain of practice, the rewards of which I'm not really sure....

2. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Yes, I play it and have worked through several different fingerings. Love the tune.

3. That tune's easy on electric. Not so much on upright but I really haven't messed with it on upright.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup.

5. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    LOL.

6. I got it after shedding it for awhile. Brian Bromberg does a killer solo version of this. All the 4ths make it pretty tricky on upright. The first lick isn't terribly tricky if you grab the G octave harmonic after the Eb.

7. Gilbert F

Gilbert F Guest

Oct 13, 2004
    I do. It's actually not as hard as you'd think it would be. Just get your right hand ready for some serious string crossings!

8. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Yeah, me too (on electric) . . .

first recording by me, with Bert Wilson(sax), and Zytron(drums) in '72. I can play it a LOT more cleanly, now (AND faster, too!)

Jaco? Jaco had a version of FJD?

9. I think it was on the live in NY recordings.

10. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Its not as hard as it seems to get all the notes, but it is hard of course to play it well.