Does anyone play U.S Masters Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeftyIllinifan, Feb 23, 2005.

1. LeftyIllinifan

Feb 13, 2005
    I was thinking about getting a new bass and ran across U.S. Masters Guitar Builders. Haven't seen anything about them on is forum, just wondering what anyone thinks about them and their basses. :help:
  2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Don't own one, but recently played a 5 string, EP5 model. I've been auditioning cheap 5 strings considering picking one up as a backup so I can have 1 while my main 5 string is in for service. I've been playing every sub-$600 bass I see, this one was used for $400. Looked pretty plain, but not ugly. It felt and played better than anything I've recently tried, and sounded pretty good. Nice deep, bright sound. I think my favorite of all I've ever played in that price range is still the Cort Curbow though, but they're not for everyone.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have one. It's currently consigned at Bass Alone, and I can tell you quite a bit about it. First, the playability is stellar. Better than my current Fender Jazz, although I like the sound of the Jazz better (that's why the US Masters is up for sale). Very comfortable body, and pretty good sound, but not quite as punchy as I like. Tim Salas replaced the vol/blend/tone arrangement with a more conventional vvt setup and I thought it sounded much better afterward. Reasonably light, 7-1/2 to 8 lbs IIRC, and those locking Sperzel tuners are kind of a trip. Here's mine, as it hangs on the wall over at Bass Alone:

Not trying to get you to buy it, just illustrating what mine is like (not that I would discourage you from buying it ;) ).
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't play one, but I LOVE your name. :D :hyper:

ILL-INI ;)

Sorry....back to basses now. :smug:
  5. 3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    Killer basses!!! I just recently traded my 5-string EP5 for a 4-string USA Schecter Jazz, only because I did not need a 5 for now. I used it exclusively on one of my previous bands (Leaderdogs) cd's, and it sounds and plays incredible. And it was one of the lower priced models. I will have another US Masters in a 4-string incarnation.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I've got a lefty 5'er. ep55 I think. It's that absolute top o the line one they make. I like it alot, sounds good, plays great. The Armstrong pickups are the bomb. I had mine made special so I could choose woods, electronics etc... and they worked well with me. They kept in close contact with updates and all that. The best part is that I had a problem with the neck 3 years and 6 or 7 hundred gigs later and I called them. They made me a new neck and overnighted it to me. No charge for the neck or the shipping. Of course I wish there hadn't been a problem in the first place, but the fact that they really went tou of there way to take care of me says alot. It has pretty wide string spacing, but if that's cool with you it's a good bass. Sorry i don't have a pic without my ugly face in it....
  7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Having an ep45 built right now. The shop is close to my house so I got to vist and pick out my own woods for the top and body. It will have a purple heart fretboard a spalted maple top and lacewood body. The pups are cusom kent Armstrong/w active preamp and 18 volts. The brothers are great guys and pay incredible attention to detail. Their neck joint has a patent and you should check out their website. They also have a complete custom ep5 model for about $600.00. I think musicians friends sells them but are currently out of stock. US masters is a small shop that makes incredible and beautiful custom instruments for very low prices. The sound is phenominal even for their "cheaper" priced models, hard punching bass and crisp bell-like highs, I think any bass player should own one. I have yet to read a negative review about one of thier instsuments
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had a fretless EP55 for several years. No line purpleheart board, rediculous birds-eye neck and one of the most perfect lacewood body. The neck shape was extremely comfortable. And it weighed something like 7.5 pounds and balanced perfectly.

Why did I sell it? I just had problems with the 35" scale. Other than that it was a killer fretless.