Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone play with their pickup covers on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jul 25, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The pickup cover on my Marcus Miller really gets in the way. I play with a floating thumb, but I still feel most comfortable right over the neck pickup, which is right where the cover sits. Consequently, I took it off.

Trouble is, it looks so darn cool. :D Sometimes I put it back on and just work around it.

Anyone play a J or P with the pickup cover on? Do you feel it gets in your way?

2. i play a p with the bridge cover on but like you can't stand the pickup cover.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I put a bridge cover on my P too. Looks tough. You can never have enough chrome. :D

4. I play my jazz with just the neck cover on. i used to play both the bridge and neck cover, but the bridge cover gets in the way. i play just behind the neck pick-up so it works perfect for me.

5. I usually play off of the bridge all the time, so I keep a neck pickup cover on typically. I find that it also helps my slapping.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I grew up playing a Jazz with the front pick-up cover on (it never had a rear one) so I just got used to it.
    I went thru my phase of playing "non-Jazz" type basses (Warwick, Spector, Smith) but when I came back around to playing just Jazz style ones, they felt weird with-out it.
    I always had my old Jazz and te cover never came off and when I would pick it up, it just felt "right" with the cover.

7. I play my P-Bass clone and my fretless Jazz with both the bridge and pickup covers.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I play about 50/50 with it on or off. Faster, more intricate stuff, I take it off to anchor my thumb on the pickup so I can move around easier. If I'm slapping, I leave it on my Marcus, just makes it much easier to me.

9. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I play with the neck pup cover on, but not the bridge. i play a lot of my fingerstyle off back there and anchor my thumb on the bridge pickup. It gets in the way.

10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

My '69 P has both covers installed. And they plan to stay there! And flats, too!

dcr

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    All of my Fenders (3 J's 2 P's) wear both covers. I play 98% between the covers, and slapping is no problem.

12. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I play my P bass with both covers in place (when I play the P bass, anyway).

With my Ric (Chris Squire) the 'cover' is really part of the horseshoe pickup, so it can't be removed.

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ricks come with pickup covers too, and while they look better with 'em on, I have to take mine off... they just get in the way (and playing right over the bridge pickup is my usual sweet spot.)

14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I have one for my Jazz Bass. When I got it second hand it still had the holes for one so I just ordered another one to try it out. It looks pretty sweet but I don't really care for it otherwise.

15. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have a 75 ri fender jazz and a sadowsky uv70 both have the neck pickup cover and i love it. ive even kinda developed a purcussive cowbell effect that i ad to my playing my tapping the top of it with my ring. my drummer hates it.... :D

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    On my Ric, I left the cover on. Working on reviving a gutted Ric copy, it's going to have a cover over the pickup and the bridge. Because.

17. I keep the pickup ashtray on my p-bass, and I have really grown to like it. You get used to it and it feels natural to anchor your thumb on it after a while.

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I just got finished reinstalling the pickup cover on my Sadowsky Metro 5 string after a string change (D'Addario Chromes :hyper: ).

In fact--After I bought it, the first thing I did (even before plugging it in :eek: ) was call Sadowsky and order a new pickguard and pickup cover. I can't play a Jazz style bass without 'em. Well, I could, but I wouldn't want to. :smug:

I've been playing with a pick more, and more, and I find that the pickup cover works perfectly as a palm rest while I pluck over the end of the fretboard.

So, yeah--picks, flats, and pickup covers. You'd think I was a lot older than I am. :meh:

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Holla atcha boyee.

20. I leave mine on my Ric's. I play close to the neck anyway.