Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone prefer pickups far from strings?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timpala, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I just bought a Fender Telecaster bass with a mudbucker in the neck position and a mudbucker in the bridge position. I played it at practice with the band and it fit in the mix perfect and I loved the tone. I then played a few songs with my Precision bass and then my Jazz bass. They are different animals I know, but I found myself missing the fullness of the mudbucker. So, I was messing around tonight with trying to get a fuller sound out of the P & J when I tried lowering the Jazz bass pickups as low as they would go. Although, it isn't as deep as the mudbucker, it sounded waaay fuller. On top of that, I like High action. I play with a pick and I don't like the clank with lower action.

So, I was wondering if anyone else sets up their basses with the pickups as low as possible? I could swear that I read somewhere that James Jamerson used to keep his pickups low and had high action to get that fat tone? I also know that I am no James Jamerson :smug:.

2. I don't but put the pups wherever they sound good to you!!.

The pickups on my 74' P are about the thickness of an E string away from the pups. On my Jazz basses...My neck pup is lowered by the E String and raised higher under the G String. On the Bridge Pup, The E string side is higher and the G string side is lower.

This gives me the sound i want....to each their own and let your ears be your guide..

3. Register_To_Disable

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I did at one time. Nowadays I put them closer but I used to feel the same way you did. You don't by any chance play hard, do you? I ask that because I used to and I disliked clanking as well, but lightening up made me appreciate pickups closer to the strings.

5. I like 'em low, too.

The feeling of having the pickup just under my fingers when I'm playing the string disturbs me a little bit.

I also (wrongly or otherwise) get the feeling that a bit of daylight between strings and pickup makes the tone a bit more focussed and more even.

6. Technique likely does have a ton to do with this preference...

7. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I learned how to play on a bass with really high action. It is a little lower now, but I still like it higher than most bass players. Yes, I play pretty hard as well.

This Modern Player Telecaster bass I just picked up is throwing a loop into what I am thinking tone should be for my current band. It just sounds so full and mixes well with the band. I have always loved the sound of my P & J basses, but since my last band practice with the Telecaster bass, I have been trying to EQ in a fuller sound with them. They sound great by themselves but are missing some OOOMMPFF when playing with the band. I lowered the pickups on the Jazz all the way, and it seems to be getting closer to what I want. My big amps are at our practice space, and I won't know until I get out there how it will sound. I am really hoping it makes a difference. Otherwise, I may have a new main bass?