Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone really not like Fender Bassmans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Jul 27, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hey,
    I have a Fender Bassman, and I just cant deal with it anymore! I refuse to further the complication of my already .. very non-complex.. rig by adding fx. Do people generally like the new bassmans or what? I have a bassman 60 combo

2. I don't know avout the new bassmans but I agree with you that adding stuff won't help if you don't like the basic tone of your amp.

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    there was a bassman 100 in the band room at my school that i had to play through alot, i wanted to throw it out the window. we ended up "accidentally" blowing it out towards the end of the year cause everyone hated it. i dont think this helps you much but i just thought ide throw in my expirience with a bassman

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think the Bassman is a fine amp for practice. Don't push it hard and it won't sound bad.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I have yet to play the solid-state Bassman that I even remotely approached liking. Any tube-based one, especially the reissues, are gems though, IMO.

6. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Seen it... heard it... played it! Decent enough for practice in the house... as long as the little woman doesn't squawk!

But I agree with "jabber...": any Bassman tuber is a keeper! Even little guitar players love 'em... but that ain't sayin' much, now is it? ;)

Many moons ago, I layed down a few tracks in the studio for a friend who needed a bottom. The studio had a vintage Bassman 100, and I believe the cabinet had a couple of 12" Celestions... long, long time ago, so I can't be too sure. Played my Ric 4001 through it. The result was very warm and sweet. Of course, the EQ capabilities from a professional studio board does have a way of improving just about any sound! ;)

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is my show/touring rig......Bassman 135 w/matching 2x15 :D

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I like my Sunn 1200S (basically a Fender Bassman 1200 Pro)

Great tone!

9. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I too am in love with my SUNN 300T ( Fender Pro 300 ). It's a monster Tube amp with monster Tone !!!

10. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Got a BassMan 150, someone here told me to get it over the 100... so I did. Love it. :smug:

11. My dad has a Silverface Bassman 10 (combo) on which I used to play everyday. He bought it used in the late '70s. I love that thing. I wouldn't gig in big rooms with it, but I love to the tone for our basement parties. I made him promise he would never sell it. It'll be mine one day.

Now my guitar player just bought one of the reissue (tweed) and it sounds incredible. He would love to get his hands on my dad's but I told him that won't happen. :)

My $0.02

Rocky