1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone remember those awesomely ugly, yet comfortable gym pants from the 90's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hey guys -

Exactly what the title says: I'm trying to see if anyone still makes some version of the awesomely comfortable, yet remarkably hideous one-size-fits-all gym pants that showed up around 1990. I don't remember if they had an actual name. They were just 'those pants that fit everyone' and after a pretty short period, they became something only seen in the gym.

They were kind of bizarrely baggy, like MC Hammer pants, but with Velcro around the waist, so you could wrap the waistband to the appropriate size for you. I remember that my then-12-year-old son found it hilarious that he could wear mine, even though I was 6' and around 270 lbs and he was 5'3" and about 120 lbs. They really WERE 'one size fits all' for a given value of 'fits'. But since they were made to look kind of baggy on everyone, they didn't look too much baggier on anyone.

My daughter was too young to remember these. She doesn't believe me about them. I need to either find a thirty-ish year old pair on ebay or something like that, or (probably possible) find a way to get a pattern for them and let her make a pair.

Does anyone else even remember these? I swear I'm not hallucinating them. They really DID exist.

Really. I swear.

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Were they called muscle pants? I vaguely remember those, but I don't think they had a wraparound waist.

80s Muscle Pants

3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Skidz? Those what you’re thinking of?

They were the fashionable, cool brand of baggy pants that usually came in some kind of checkerboard or other striking pattern...

Basically Hammer Pants you could buy at JCPenney, not special for a music video...

10cc likes this.
  4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
  5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Probably not at the same time. But I can't rule it out completely.

Old Blastard likes this.
  6. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I remember them. Once you said the Velcro waist it popped. They were super comfy and all the rage in the late 80s-early 90's. I had a pair, made of light cotton and had two sides of the waist adjustment that folded over and attached at the front. There were different sizes, but could fit a wide verity of people. I think the sizing was mostly for pant leg length.

7. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Just looked at those muscle pants. That is what I had. I'm pretty sure that what they were.

8. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Parachute pants

mrcbass likes this.
  9. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Zubaz?

knuckleduster and BigDanT like this.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Zubaz.

knuckleduster likes this.
  11. LOL, if you scroll down, they also sell "adult clown pants"! And the model looks like one of those killer clowns...

Oddly likes this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    ZUBAZ....

As soon as I put on these pants I knew something was different. As soon as I donned my white tennis shoes, I could suddenly feel the wind blowing back my bowl cut even though I was inside. I tucked my Hypercolor T-shirt into the huggably soft elastic waist band and immediately began practicing my Karate skills in my parents basement. Will Smith's "Parent's Just Don't Understand" came on and I got so pumped I accidentally roundhouse kicked my little brother through 8 layers of drywall. He was pretty upset considering he's 35 and had back surgery earlier this year, but I'm pretty sure he was just jealous of my new pants. I begged him not to tell our mom but he did anyway because he's a tattle tale. Whatever. I didn't even mention the fact that when he broke through the wall he ruined my Jonathan Taylor Thomas poster, but I'm the only one who got in trouble. I tried explaining to my mom that the pants were making me 2hype but she didn't listen. She keeps telling me I should move out but I know she just wants the Pog collection I'm storing in the garage. As if.

(Stolen from the interwebs....Made me laugh....)....

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i remember.

mine are in the wash now. i didn't realize they are no longer stylish. :D

14. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Jimmyz’s maybe?
    621B717C-421B-4098-8EF5-6571BB6759DB.

15. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    5C97EDCD-59CD-4E9B-9A68-139974BD6C59.

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    giphy.

???

Stumbo, Joe Nerve, Fretless1! and 2 others like this.
  17. Tailored sweat pants?

I have been known to leave the house in my more basic drawstring equipped ones.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I only remember Zubaz and Otomix. They're both still in business.

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I never wore muscle pants, but does anyone remember rugby pants? At my school, it was high fashion when paired with white tennis shoes and a faded denim jacket...circa 1983. I have to admit I was very guilty of that fashion....

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think of Zubaz but they don’t have a Velcro wish band.