1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone still use a Littlemark Tube 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Does anyone still use the Littlemark Tube 800? If so , how do you like it??

I raised this question in a couple threads , but had no replies. This head seems to be the most controversial Markbass head out there. Some love it - some don't care for it. I read the hype thread before it was released , but once KJung (whom opinions I greatly respect) gave his negative review and returned his LMT800 before the return policy expired it seems that everybody jumped off the bandwagon...

It's got me wondering if I should see the order through and try it out or cancell my order??

I'll copy my post that I put in the other thread here since it got no reponse in either thread that I asked about it:

I just ordered a new LMT800 last night for a great price (long story that I really can't go into). I kinda had to make a quick decision so I didn't have time to do research here on Talkbass about it. I owned a F500 about two years ago and I really liked it , but I had a couple big gigs where the F500 fell short on power - even through two 410 cabs. I've heard people say that the F500 had enough power to handle all of their gig situations - that wasn't the case for me , but I also had no PA support at the time. When I decided that I was going to get another Markbass head I wanted one with more power than 500 Watts. I read through the 13 reviews on Musicians Friend and they were all pretty positive except for some people saying that the tube didn't really do much and it should be classified more as a solid state amp. Another guy complained about the pull out volume / mute switch tended to change his volume settings slightly when he used it. I figured that I could live with those two complaints so I ordered the head.
    When I had more time today to look into what Talkbass users thought about the LMT800 I was shocked by how varied the views on this amp were and how some highly respected gear gurus here on talkbass didn't like the amp. To say that I was disappointed was an understatement! Then again I read where some people really liked the LMT800 , so I'm still keeping my hopes up that it will live up to my expectations and that I will be able to find the sound that I am looking for. It will be running two GK Neo212-II cabs and I will mainly be playing my Musicman Bongo 5 HH. The Bongo has a nice 4 band EQ that I'm hoping can fill in any areas that may be lacking in the voicing of the LMT800. I did find two youtube videos of the LMT800 and the LMT and if I can get mine to sound anywhere near to what those sound like I think that I'll be a happy camper. I shared the videos on the Markbass Club thread , but I will also share them here:

http://youtu.be/BT-IV2Zy6_M

http://youtu.be/kwN4Vt0g2cU

Thanks , P-P

2. Use one at the keyboardists. We practice there when it is cool enough. Can't wait for 90+ days so I won't have to use it anymore.

3. Ouch.

4. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well - I guess that settles it then. No one can chime in with any positives about this amp - only negatives...

I'll call tomorrow and try to cancel my order before it ships. I just wish that the amp I wanted to go with in the first place didn't turn out to be a lemon all three times that I got a new one and I had to send them back (two had bad crackling issues and one blew up after about an hours use). And that was after a long back-order wait. I've pretty much been amp-less since the beginning of January!! That in turn has kept my band from gigging and me making a little extra money.

5. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Do what you want,but my tube 800 works just great!

"highly respected gurus on TB?"???
    trust your ears!

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    But...this whole website is text.

7. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I actually just got a hold of MF before they closed and cancelled my order.
    I posted in the Markbass Club thread yesterday and no body answered my questions about this amp except for my question about it's one speakon output. The I posted in a older MBT800 thread asking about how LMT800 users like their amps. Again - No response. I figured that I start a new thread about this amp and only got a negative comment until you guys chimed in after I already cancelled it. I had to make the call soon on weather or not to cancel it before my return got back to them and they processed my order , so I couldn't wait any longer waiting for positive comments about this amp.

8. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I do have to say that people who own this amp and like it - please say so in this thread so other people like me aren't swayed away from trying it due to all the negativity on TB about this amp.

9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    It's actually kind of funny you started this thread. About a week ago I was in Guitar Center and saw an LMT 800 sitting on top of a Markbass 210. After trying all the other MB stuff there I figured before I left that I'd give the LMT a shot.

I set everything flat, turn it on, and lo and behold there's no cable to plug it into the cab! So I just left.

I guess we will never solve the mystery of the LMT 800.....

10. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    If you do ever get to try one - let us know what you think.

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I watched those vids you put up and disliked the sound on both. Youtubing for bass sound is a gamble at best, but I heard almost nothing I liked.

12. I have many amps new and old. Right now the Tube800 is the winner. I'm mostly an Eden fan and have been looking for lighter alternative to my WT400 +

I've been through quite a few micros, Ampeg PF350, PF500, Markbass LM II, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Eden WTX260, and still own an Eden WTX500, SWR Headlite, and Markbass F500.

The LMT 800 brings real weight to the sound. It can be dialed up to give a very thick low end that I personally enjoy. I primarily use it with a Berg AE410 and the pair is simply marvelous.

I use an FDeck HPF with the frequency set to 3:00 to clean up the thunderous lows and obtain more of that Eden tone... Bass at 3:00, Low mid at 1:00 or so depending of how much punch I need on the gig, High Mid 12:00, Treble 3:00, VLE 8:30-9:00, VPF 9:00. EDIT* - Forgot the the Tube SS blend at 11:00. Sounds amazing to my ears. It's all but retired my WT400+ and I'm happy about it.

All the other micros I've tried always left me wanting for something, be that more power, less compression, thicker low end, less brittle highs. The LMT 800 works for me.

I personally don't care if you buy a LMT 800 or not. The way I see it is you have been led to look at the LMT for a reason. Give it a shot. You might be missing out on your life long dream amp just because TB says no.

I did much reading on amps and found I don't share the same opinions of bass sound as KJung, or JimmyM. That's ok. I respect all they bring to this community and value their opinions all the same. It took many purchases to figure out where their ears lye compared to mine and now I'm comfortable in knowing what I like and need from an amp.

Don't just follow the flock. As long as there is not a glaring flaw in a particular amps design and a slew of consistent return complaints on multiple message boards (not just TB) give it a shot. Try out what your heart tells you.

13. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Man, I say,get off TB for awhile and try things on your own.
    What do you think,why Mark Bass is in the business and doing great? As for LM tube 800, I found it to be a GREAT little loud amp,very affordable,very reliable,very light...you name it. Passive or active bass...lately I play '77 Precision bass (mostly P basses in general) and it sounds terrific. Very natural,fat,articulate sound.
    This guy in several post above,hinted about B string...don't listen. I had Spector euro lx 5 strings, LM tube 800 through single 210 box (EBS) it delivers HUGE B !!!
    Off course,if you want vintage heads and huge fat dirty sounds like SVT,Hiwatt and similar-buy those and be prepare to work your ass pulling them around... But for a working,gigging bassist looking for comfortable head with lots of great sound,Mark Bass tube 800 is your thing.

For what it is-small,light micro amp,LM tube 800 is hard to beat!!!

14. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Makes me wonder why the F500 which seems to be beloved here on TB is now discontinued and the LMT800 which gets very little love here is still going??

15. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Maybe I should except for the fact that I'm trying to sell my Pedulla Thunderbass here right now and need to keep an eye on what's happening with it. Which honestly hasn't been much...

16. I have no doubt it works for other people! I even asked for suggestions and tried them to find something I liked. I can play through it and get kind of close, but there always seems for me that something winds up missing.
    FOR ME PERSONALLY for those who have trouble with reading ;) this unit leaves me frustrated every time I use it. For myself personally it has not won me over at all. Different people have different needs/wants. People can respect that as I do other's or not. :cool:

17. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I don't have trouble with reading nor this thread is about you.:)
    I said that OP rely too much on "guru's" opinion which may lead him thinking that LM tube 800 is poor amp while he can actually make decisions about what he like and what is good or bad.

18. The reading part was not aimed at you ;) Only that you may like it a lot more than I do was aimed at you. Which I think is what makes the world keep spinning. You will never know what amp will work for you till you play them personally, I agree fully! :)

19. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    NHF!!! I thought one of gurus jumped on me haha!!!:help:
    seriously, someone commented on how bad B string sounds through LMB 800 (and deleted his post now)
    maybe he had some weak speakers. that being said,I am not great fan of Mark Bass cabinets and speakers,but combined with some hi quality cab,in my case,EBS neo box, it really shines.

Now I guess I spent enough on this..Mark Bass surely wont pay me nor send me some goodies for all this praise!:p

20. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    People who complain they can't get a sound they like out of the MarkBass amps usually have the VLE and VPF filters set incorrectly. Many people start with them set at noon, thinking this is the flat setting. The flat setting for the filters is full left or "off". My guess, every time someone says they can't get a good sound, is either that or they're using their eyes instead of their ears to set the EQ. Familiar "looking" settings sometimes cloud things a bit.