does anyone use 115's anymore?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, May 28, 2003.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    So, most of the threads I read discuss preferences for 110's or 112's. I was curious is how many of you use 115 cabs or combos and why or why not.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use a single 15 (Bergantino HT115) in a small bar with an Elvis tribute band. Great for that old-school thump. I usually break out the '51 RI Precision with it.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I use mine for mids.

Most people use them for low end "woof" machines.
  4. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I have a 15, but I'm getting rid of it :p
  5. i use two bag end 15s. they're punchier and more middy than most 15s. loud as hell and easier to transport than a 4x10.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ashdown ABM Mini 1x15 - sounds good to me... not the slightly muddy sound I expected before I plugged it in but a clear, solid response.

7. I might switch to a 15 after last weekends gig. I had brought my alembic pre with qsc amp and 112 aguilar to use. Like a bonehead I forgot to bring a speakon cable so I didn't have anything to run from the qsc to the aguilar. Anyway, I decided my only option was to run the alembic into the powered JBL eon 15. (The PA) Needless to say I was blown away by its tone. If the vocals were not going through it I would have turned down the tweeter a bit (a little harsh), but it still surprised me at how good it sounded. Now I'm thinking about just going out and buying one for myself.

My long winded story.
  8. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County

That's pretty interesting, because I'm always hearing about the great tone, warmth, and volume from the aguilar 112. But you thought the 115 sounded even better, huh?
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My 115 (also the Bergantino HT115) sounds great, but I only use it in conjunction with 10" speakers.
  10. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    I've got a little (less than 2 cu ft) Gollehon 115 cab I got for 28 bucks off ebay. It was ported and tuned too high so I sealed off the port and it kicks ass now! The sealed cab is much smoother than ported cabs I've used. I'm running a "Tube Works" "Blue Tube" 904 rackmount preamp into a "Tube Works" MosValve MV-982 Power Amp bridged for 160 watts into the cab. I was just jammin' with a metal band that had two marshall half stacks. I think they were about to laugh me out when I started settin' up that miniature rig but it kept up with them with some db's to spare! Damn, now I'm gonna take a Peavey BW speaker I got that has an FS of 31hz and stick it into a $20 1.5 cu ft cab and see what it does. I drive a mini-pickup and the little rack (skb 2 space x-rack), Gollehon cab, and the axe fit in the passenger seat no prob! :)
  11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I use my Bag End 15 for most of my gigs. If a club is pretty large I might bring my Genz Benz 2-12 as well.
  12. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My first jig was with some homemade particleboard 15 driven by a crate 300 watt amp. It rocked. In fact, I haven't really been able to get that sound with anything new yet...
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Sure, I use a 1-15 sometimes (admittedly I will use 1-12 more often) and I know plenty of other guys who still live and die by 15s.

I don't use my 12" cabs because they have 12" speakers, I use them because they sound really good and are small and light.

I could care less what size the speaker is, I just use my ears to decide if it sounds good.
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    another vote for the bagend 15
    wonderful cab, tiny, and no boomy lows that plauge other 15" cabs
    punchy as hell too
  15. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Yes we do! I use two cabs with single 15"s in the rig. One Fender 115 cab and a Hartke 1x15" cab with the aluminium cone.
  16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I had an old Acoustic half stack with a 15". Then I got a Peavey TNT 300 combo with a 15". Then I got a Trace Elliot rig with a 2x10 and a 1x15. After 3 herniated discs later, I got a SWR Workingman's 12 and now I use 1 or 2 aguilar GS112 cabs. I don't think a 1x15 or 1x18 is the only way to get pounding lows from your bass. YMMV
  17. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I use a GK combo with a 1x15 and a seperate GKRBH 1x15 Bottom. I'm going to trade the combo in and get the GK 1001RBIV 2x10 combo to complete my rig.
  18. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have a Glockenklang 115 with a tweet. Sweet and Fat...
  19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    1x15 under my 2x10 biamped. Great for lows.
  20. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Closing in on 300 and he digs Gentle Giant plus a 15 on the lows, he can't be all bad...;)