Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone use a double gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dukeplaysbass, Jul 23, 2004.

1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Hey all-

Anyone use a double gig bag? Which brand? I've been thinking about the InCase stuff, but have no experience with the double -- my guitar player loves his single bag.

I find myself taking two basses to every gig, even if only for backup/bulk. Just wondering if the weight of the two basses plus the bag is too clumsy for regualr use....

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use an Undercover double gig bag all the time. It's extremely durable, and carries two 35-inch scale five strings with no problem. Give Gard a call at Bass Central. He'll fix you right up.

Also, do a search on "double gig bag".

3. I use one that I got from Sadowsky. It's fine with me. Way better than two single gig bags but two basses in one bag is heavy.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Incase dub bag is GREAT, the Undercover one is also very very good. Lots of discussion on all these brands in the archives.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use a ritter double case. its there best model and it just comes with an insert so you can have two basses in it. I originally wanted an Incase one but there a bit annoying to get over here and the ritter is much cheaper.

If you explain your current situation and why you need it maybe we can help more. If you look after all your own gear and it never leaves your sight then get the ritter, if it gets loaded in a van with all the other gear get an incase, if it goes in a plane cargo hold get insurance.

Hope this helps

6. Incase DUB bag here. Excellent piece of equipment. Wouldn't want to do without. :D

7. Double gig bag was the best way to go for me.

I will not gig without 2 basses, and the hard cases were just a pain. I am not sure of the brand of mine, but it is not recomendable anyway. Make sure there is lots of padding in the bottom where the bass body will sit or you will find yourself getting some grooves (not good grooves) in the body.

It is heavy, but 1 trip is always better in my opinion. Besides after unloading my Eden Metro and 210xlt my hemmies are already flared up. :rolleyes:

8. dukeplaysbass

Thanks for the offer. All the gigs are local, meaning driving distance where I drive my own car or carpool with one or two guys in theirs -- no band vans. Everyone I'm working with uses gig bags, so everyone is equally concerned about them getting mashed. No major out of town stuff, so planes are not the issue.

I've been using two Warwick bags, which are very well padded, and I like them, but the "leather" reinforcements inside at the headstock and bridge are getting chewed up. They weren't expensive (one was free, one was $40), so I can't complain much. I have one of the Summit single bags, but I don't like the storage space on it.

Maybe I'm just getting annoyed at dragging in two items when I know that I might be able to combine them into a single unit. I don't see many double bags on the used market so maybe that says something.....

9. I got a Fender double gig-bag at Guitar Center for $50. Not top quality or anything, but it does the job. Lots of pockets.

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Incase Dub Bag. Little weighty, but a great bag. Thank Brian Barrett!

Got a fender double as well, it was ok but not that great. It just sits in the corner now.

11. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the Incase and Undercover...the Incase is a little heavy but a great case...I use the Undercover even for a single bass.

12. dukeplaysbass

Ah, yes. Was not thinking of that when I posted last night. My bad. Good info there, will probably go with the InCase....

Thanks for the assistance!

13. I would offer Lamar $30 for his Fender Double gig bag and see if you like it for yourself. ;)

14. dukeplaysbass

I already have enough of MY OWN STUFF that's not being used.....don't need to buy Lamar's stuff, too!

Except that really nice Benavente he had from a couple of weeks back -- but it was just too hard to pull the trigger for that kind of dough on a bass I haven't even played.....

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My SKB flight case holds 2 basses if that counts? It's magical by the way. And yellow.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nino showed me his and they seem really handy.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I know there is at least one Vortex 6 string in LA, CA... If you know Jorg @ www.schroedercabinets.com he just got his last week :bassist:

I've been looking for a double to drag my Benavente's around in. My 51 6string is too wide and too long for the incase stuff :bawl:

18. dukeplaysbass

I've had the Benavente fever since I saw the black one DavidWilson had for sale here.... Same problem -- too much cake for a bass I've never even seen in person.

I'll try to get in touch with Jorg, see if he's willing to let me try it out (and listen to his cabs, too! I love it when someone makes high wattage cabs that'll fit in the trunk of my convertible...)

Hey David, what became of that black Benavente? I assume you sold it, but I *still* see that one in my mind. Funny how some things stay with you....

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, it's gone to someone in Colorado. Was a great bass, but I was hoping it would be more like a 5 string version of the Geddy Lee Jazz sound wise. don't get me wrong, it sounded great - just not the sound I was looking for.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I've emailed with the guy you sold it to a few times... seems like a cool guy. He's up on the "family" page now.