1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone use a Grace Design FELiX or ALiX for bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b3panda, Mar 16, 2017.

1. b3panda

b3panda

Dec 21, 2012
    Allison Park, PA
    Hi, I'm considering purchasing a Grace Design ALiX to use with my upright, but I'm wondering if any bass guitarists out there use a Grace Design preamp with their rigs. If it works well, I would probably get a FELiX instead, as it would really simplify things on doubling gigs.

I currently use a Demeter VTBP-201S with my bass guitar. I love it, but it would be so easy to just carry a FELiX around if it works well.

Thanks!

2. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    If you don't need a bunch of "color" or "character" added to your BG sound, the Grace Designs products are great.

If you do, then you will need to use effects loops to bring in various pedals to get your sound.

If you don't need a the Mic preamp in FELiX (48v Phantom, much more gain), ALiX covers the territory, with the loss of some flexibility (blending).

There is, or will soon be, a Grace Designs pedal, the BiX, might be the best way to get your feet wet with Grace Designs sound.

All three are more oriented to the Acoustic end of the world:

FELiX for the guitar/mando/violin/URB player who needs a mic style pickup or mic to blend with a piezo pickup (or to use for second instrument). Was originally listed as a Microphone preamp on their site. Now listed with ALiX and BiX as an instrument preamp.

ALiX instrument preamp, very clean and transparent. No 48v, but can provide 15v for electret pickups/mics, has built in 115 power and some internal configurability.

BiX, Low cost Grace, powers from wall wart or your pedalboard supply. Dead simple. Website demo video sound (acoustic guitar) will make you drool.

Manuals for all three at gracedesign.com, so you can make a detailed feature comparison.

I do not foresee using my FELiX as a "doubling" pre, it would make thinks more complicated, not less! Fabulous preamp, sound quality right up there with the very best, and solid build, as well. I swapped out my DTAR Solstice, and haven't looked back.

Snaxster likes this.
  3. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Yup. Sounds quite good.

4. b3panda

b3panda

Dec 21, 2012
    Allison Park, PA
    Thanks for the replies. When I double right now, I use a two channel Acoustic Image Clarus. So I know what it's like playing with a really uncolored preamp. The EQ on the Clarus doesn't quite work for me on electric though. I would imagine the Grace EQ is more capable with the parametric EQ.

If I may ask, why do you see the FELiX making doubling more complicated? It can be used to switch between channels with the footswitch, right? And it has two seperate DI's, which is my main problem with the Clarus. If it makes any difference, I will be using my preamp setup directly into a powered cabinet.

I'm afraid that I'll buy the ALiX and love it for bass guitar, and then I'll have to sell it to get a FELiX to accomodate doubling!

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
  6. Check the SUMO thread there are some guys using them, I think it's Jeff Scott.

7. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I use the Grace Felix for everything except upright bass.

It sounds killer sitting on top of my GenzBenz NeoPak 3.0 into Eden 210XLT and D115.

I also use it into PA Heads as a DI for my Schertler and Schatten Pick-up enabled mandolins and Fishman and LR Baggs enabled Martin HD-28 and Custom D-35.

I find my SansAmp Paradriver does a better job as a preamp with my Realist enabled Kay Upright into a Phil Jones Double Four.

But I unequivocally can't say enough good about the Grace Felix - it's my very favorite, most useful Audio Swiss Army knife!

8. I had the Alix > Baby Sumo combo and ended up returning the Alix and going with the Shaw Tube injection pre.
    I loved the hpf on the Alix. I felt the Alix was to sterile sounding with my basses.

9. I should be getting my Grace Design BiX today. I plan on using it to feed my Crest Prolite 2.0. Really looking forward to hearing how it sounds with my bass guitars as well as my uprights. Seems dead simple, but I am a little worried about the lack of a mid contour on the EQ.