Does anyone use a 'stereo' head bass amp and two speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danonearth, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Danonearth

Danonearth

Sep 6, 2014
    I’ve just started using headphones on my Zoom B1-on and I like the ‘stereo’ effects that come out in the headphones (I haven’t played much in headphones - mostly I just practice silently with my bass not plugged into anything, as I have housemates) and it got me wondering if anyone has experimented with using a ‘stereo’ head amp and two speakers for their bass?

Thanks!

cheers,
    Dan

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    IME, using stereo bass effects with speakers on each side of the stage interferes with the overall sound of the band FOH.

Munjibunga and brbadg like this.
  3. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    I am curious too. I have some stereo pedals that I would love to use live but I've never run 2 heads/cabs in a live situation.
    I did rent out a rehearsal room a few times so I could try true stereo and it was cool, but it was just me so there were no other sounds to interfere lol.

4. Stereo is very hard to pull off in a live situation. Most of the audience hears one or other side far louder. Most of the few getting both sides get combing in the lows making some notes lose their bottom end.

Munjibunga likes this.
  5. About 12 years ago I spent 2 years putting together a new bass rig from the ground up, and part of the emphasis was to make it a STEREO bass system. So, I got an Eden Navigator preamp (which let me insert a really nice TC Electronics effects unit with stereo chorus and delay), a Crown K1 2 channel amp, and two Acme Low B2 cabinets.

It sounded absolutely amazing and literally gave me goose bumps every time I used it....... however......... as has been pointed out, I found that it really was hard to pull off the stereo effects in a live situation, so that ended up going by the wayside, and I only used the stereo part for recording stuff.

It wasn't all lost however, the 2 cabs gave me the ability to point one at the drummer and one at me, giving us both huge grins, but live, the only "effect" I use now is a compressor.

It probably all depends on what kind of music you're playing. Rock and roll, stick with a good solid mono bass and focus on your tone and playing, leaving plenty of room for the kick drum. If you're doing more alternative or psychedelic, then go for it. Have fun.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I used to do it, lots. Mono-->synthesized stereo utilizing a little bit of modulation was always my favorite format. If you use a high pass filter on one side of a pair of widely split cabs you'll often be way ahead of the game. You also don't necessarily even need to separate the cabs at all, and in many cases it works better to not do so, IME. You can also try the satellite speaker approach with something much smaller than your primary cab.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Stumbo likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021