1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone use EMG-HZ p/ups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rudyboy98, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    And if you do...what basses are the pickups in?

Do you like or dislike them?

Post pics if you like. Your opinions are welcome!

2. I have EMG-hz in a borrowed schecter, on loan from my band.

they're toneful, well balanced and articulated, super hot pickups which makes the controls more useful. They get my thumbs up.

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

EMG hz are great pickups

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

FOR ME TO POOP ON

5. [​IMG]

6. I have them in my schecter C-4, they're my least favorite part of the bass.
    They get the job and don't have any big issues, but they don't compare to the active EMGs.

7. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have them in a Dean Edge Q5, and although they have good clarity they seem pretty cold, sterile and brittle. Not enough character for me, but some people seem to really like them.

8. I also have a C-4... GREAT BASS! but I do find myself bothered by the pickups sometimes..

they do have clarity.. they do have some decent growl to them when I need it.. but the problem is that they just sound THIN!!!

It doesnt help that there arent tons of options for other pickups to switch to... apart from other EMG's or barts...

If nordstrand made pickups in the EMG 35 shape id be getting those REAL fast

they arent TERRIBLE pickups.. but i prefer more of a FULL sound.. they are NOT amazing pickups at all but what do you expect for the price...

9. not worth buying, could be worth living with if they came in a bass you otherwise like.

10. +1

11. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Available, you just have to ask.

And to the answer the OP, I'm one of many who hate them and have said so lots on this forum!

12. no poopie??? really? hmm I may have some new pickups soon :hyper:

13. My Schecter Custom 5 came with 'em already installed. I like them just fine.

14. They came with my schecter and will be replaced soon with Barts or maybe SD soap bars. They are adequate but I'm not crazy about them. I really like my Schecter though it's got about 8 years of scratches, dings and mojo.

15. mmmmm.....mojo....*drools*

16. one thing I wonder though is how the EMG 2 band active preamp that usually comes with the HZ's will work with new pickups..

perhaps a new preamp is in order as well... (MMM SADOWSKY)

17. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    Have them in a Spector ,they are pretty good but I will replace them with active EMGs or Basslines.

18. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I agree. I had them in my old Schecter and I absolutely hated the lifeless brittle sound they had.

19. I owned a Schecter Stiletto 4 (2003-2007). Pickups had very smooth but sterile tone. Not to my liking at all and the highs were, as someone else mentioned, too brittle. They are dual coil humbuckers, wired in parallel, but I recently read that someone had wired the coils in series and got a really great J bass tone out them. I wish I had read that before I sold the bass!

PS. I also had an unfavorable experience with EMG PJ in a P-Bass so I am not a fan of EMG. My 55-01's Bartolinis on the other hand have some great tone and my other basses are loaded with SD or Dimarzio's

20. I sold my J not long after getting my Schecter. I'll have to look for that article. I'd love to get the J tone back without buying another one.