does anyone use heterogenous sets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jan 30, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, over on the DB side it seems there's a lot of people who use one brand of strings for the D and G, and a different brand for the E and A. So, they end up with a "heterogenous" set on their instrument.

Does anyone over here on the electric side do that? Like use Smith's on top and MTD's on the bottom, or some other combination like that?
  2. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'd thought about that but it would make the strings so darn expensive! Could go with all individual strings and maybe buy in bulk if you're that sure of what you want, but that's hardly convenient. I could see maybe ordering a few spare B and or E strings to go with a standard set, but that's about as far as I'd care to go down that road.
  3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    For a while I had all TI flats except for my A, which was a La Bella Deep Talkin' flat. This was not by choice, but because of a broken string. It sounded exactly the same, which is odd because when I have a full set of one or the other on my bass, they sound distinctly different. It could have been because the La Bella was new but the TIs were several months old, so it evened out the sound a bit.
    I don't generally mix sets, though.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with Wademeister63, it would be too expensive. Juststrings sells D'Addrio Chromes for about $22 for a set of four. But a single string is $11!!! And that assumes you could get singles in the string you want. You would probably end up buying two sets.

DB strings last a long time and it is probably worth spending more up front when the long term costs are less.

Like Rosencrantz, I currently have a hetrogeneous set, but not by choice. I had chromes on my P and bought a set of La Bella's for it. I planned on moving the chromes to a Yamaha that I play drop D, so I also bought a 110 single chrome (now you know why I know the prices!). I put the 110 on the Yammy and the La Bella's on the P. But I hate the La Bella's so I may put the chromes back on the P. So my Yammy currently has a flatwound chrome 110 "E" string and Ernie Ball roundwound slinkies for the other 3 strings!
  5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I forget his name but I read in Bass Player that the guy on the Saturday Night Live (TV show) uses flats for his G and D and rounds for his E and A. He's a big name that's recorded with a lot of heavies.

Seemed like a good idea to me for evening out the tone.
  6. T-Bone Wolk? That's curious... I can see where he's coming from though. The smaller strings sometimes sound thin compared to the others.