1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Anyone Use Keyboard Modules for bass??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Feb 17, 2008.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey guys,
    i was making a post for pedals to fill up the space since our pianist quit.

i was thinking...what better way to p a keyboard with a sound module... than to use a sound module myself.

he used the one of the nord electro modules..

seen here:
    this one seems to have.... a lot of bass patches!!
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nord-Rack-2X?sku=702631

the second one has a lot of basic keyboard setting
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nord-Electro-2-Rackmount-Synthesizer?sku=702627

has anyone thought of this idea.. sorry if it has been. i searched and found nothing n this issue. has anyone done this.. and can it be done??

thanks,
    evan

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    So you mean replace your keyboard player with a keyboard?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The problem is those modules are controlled by MIDI, not by an audio signal like a bass. So you can use them perfectly well if you have a MIDI-equipped bass.

Some of those rack synths allow external audio to be fed through the filter section, but even then you need a person or a computer/sequencer controlling how the filter opens and closes etc.

4. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    cannot you add a roland midi pick up and then send the output of that to the synth module

5. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    haha i was so about to say that???
    would it work well... or would it sound thin???

how much do they run also?

peace,
    evan

6. I have a 12 module MOTM analog modular setup, Ive run my bass through it, you cant control pitch of the oscillators or anything with your bass, and to be honest it doesnt sound all that cool, stick to pedals.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Seriously, please read up on how MIDI works. If you have the appropriate pickup installed in your bass, and the MIDI brain module that converts that particular pickup's signals into MIDI, then you are sending a MIDI signal. MIDI is not audio, it does not sound like anything (well it sounds like an old-school modem if you connect it to an audio input, but you will never do that). MIDI is just triggering information. How it "sounds" depends entirely on the sound module you're triggering with it. Your bass tone is not even part of the equation, it's a whole separate sound source.

8. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey,
    sorry my bad. im very new to the effect world. i did some basic searches and some sticky threads but alas nothing. so your telling me that it wont sound very good :)

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 Bongo.

It should be said that midi pickup tracking on bass is not great. Even with a piezo midi pickup I get a lot of false notes and there is some noticeable lag on extended range basses.

In the end, not really worth it unless you just gave in and got a keyboard.

11. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
  12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I use my keyboard module for bass.. Some songs require a completely synthesized sound and yeah.

I have a Motif Rack I use for KEYBOARDS but it produces some cool bass tones as well.