1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone use their analog.man chorus with 12V?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marshbass, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Marshbass

Marshbass

Dec 7, 2006
    Australia
    I was looking at the instruction sheet that came with my analog.man chorus and noticed their suggestion "try 12V for more headroom". Has anyone tried this? Was there a noticeable/worthwhile difference?

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    9V for me.

3. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I use mine with 9v, but thats an interesting idea...I may give it a go...

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I ran mine at 18V for awhile because the super hot output on my Sterling was distorting it, and the internal trim pot wasn't helping matters. Worked great, Mike says you can run it anywhere between 9V and 18V to alleviate that.

I run it at 9V again because after lowering the pickup on my Sterling, I no longer suffer from Super Loud Stupiditiness.

5. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I run quite a few of my pedals at 12v (Ashdown compressor, Tonefactor Nebula, DIY delay)... a general statement this is with obvious exceptions, but it tends to give the gain sections inside a wee bit more headroom for the hotter-output basses.

6. Marshbass

Marshbass

Dec 7, 2006
    Australia
    So it's completely fine to run it on 18V? I have the mini chorus with deep mod. The power supply i'm planning on getting has 9V and 18V outputs (Gator)

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Hmmm...I think I might try that. My SR's distort it sometimes, so if that fixes the problem, I'll be one happy mofo.

8. so are you saying you can jam say 12v into any 9v pedal??

Interesting...

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Nope, it's just a few boutique makers will make the pedal operate on anywhere between 9-18v for that extra headroom should the user need it.

10. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Right, a circuit's power-handling abilities are a function of the parts and design chosen by the builder. Higher-rated parts, and more robust designs, usually cost a bit more to build; maybe only pennies more, but mass-market companies like to save every penny they can, whereas "boutique" builders are sometimes more luxurious in their choices.

11. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I was using my Analogman Chorus for a while on 9v but found it distorting on anything below the A string on all my basses and the internal pot didn't help much.

Their site says the optimal voltage for the pedal is 15-16v. I tried a 15v adaptor and I had alot of headroom, slightly thicker chorusing and no distortion at all. However, this left me with a chunky wall wart on my board and a volume hump.

I ditched the 15v adaptor for a T-rex Fueltank with the 12v DC outlet. Works great... I recommend anyone using this pedal to run it on 12v :hyper:

12. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    It depends on the voltage tolerance of the components inside. All components have a voltage tolerance, and you can look inside at all of them (well-built pedals, especially hand-built ones, solder components so the values can be easily read) to see if your pedal will handle different voltages.

1) Resistors measure their handling limit in watts. In general, most pedalbuilders (especially of 9v pedals) use 1/4w resistors, and never need anything more. In any case, you should definitely not have a problem with the resistors.

2) non-polarized capacitors often have very high voltage tolerance limits, ranging from 100v-250v.

3) Electrolytic capacitors in pedals usually have one of 3 voltage limits: 35v, 16v, or 10v. If you see any that say 'x.xuF 10v', your pedal will definitely have issues with 12v power...fatal issues. 16v capacitors will be fine with 12v, and so will the 35v. Check ALL the electrolytic capacitors for handling limits, as many companies use different limits for different parts of the circuit.

4) Chips - some chips work with 9v, some don't. In many 'other-than-op-amp' chips (delay chips, clock timer chips), a regulator is installed somewhere in the circuit...for instance, my PT2399-based delay has a 5v IC voltage regulator before its power pin. The regulator will often look like a transistor, and often has a label that starts with the letter L). Of course, a more obvious thing to do is to go to this website, enter the part number of the chip, and see how many volts it will handle:

http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTEMasterxRef.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm

I've found that most of the opamps I use (JRC4558, TL072, LM308) work just fine with 12v power, and it increases the headroom a little.

5) Transistors: Transistors are a tricky bunch I don't really understand, maybe niftydog can help me out here. You can also try the parts number search listed above.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021