Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Anyone Uses G-Major?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ceycey, Mar 2, 2005.

1. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    I'm curious if anyone uses TC Electronic G-Major? What is the result?

I'm thinking to buy it but when i talk with the support of TC the man said that you can have some problems with the pitch based effects and the tuner. I saw it has a requency response of 20hz-20khz and even the tuner has a bass guitar mode. Can this unit cause a problem? I don't want to lose any low end or get unusable sounds after paying it 500$.

Thanks...

2. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi...

I had the G-Major for a year, I used it mostly for my Chapman Stick but it also used it on bass sometimes.

Well, I didn't encounter any problems at all. The reverb and delays are smooth and very nice. The programs are easily modified for your own liking too.

Hey, if you want a tuner, buy a TUNER (Korg Stage Tuner). Don't rely on the inbuilt crappy ones... (Sorry)

:hyper:

3. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    Hi,

Does this mean do you had any small problems? I'm curious about pitch shift, whammy,.. kinda efects. Are you satisfied with overall quality? I'll use it in recording and live situations.

I have a boss tuner for about 6 years but it will be handy if G-Major's works fine for me.

Thanks for the reply...

4. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi again!

Well, I can't remember how low the harmonizer tracked to be honest, but who wants to use harmonizer on the low B anyway?

Hmmm, I never set it up with an expression pedal, but I couldn't see why it shouldn't work out.

When I mentioned a real tuner I meant a rack-tuner, the kind you can see from 11,2 miles away! ;) Stay away from small display tuners, they just dont do the trick. Sorry...

5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The tuner only works to the low F on a 4-string so you can't tune up with open strings. IMO that's a problem. The two big knobs on the front ( the parameter wheels or whatever you want to call them ) on my unit they are very flimsy and very unstable. The Octaver tracks down to the low F as well but IMO it's to slow. If you play fast runs it ends up in a blur of notes.

I'm replacing my G-major with something else - probably a G-Force or a Eventide Eclipse.

6. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi again!

You will never get a pitch-shifter for bass that tracks deeper then the deep F.

If the G-Major tracks down to the deep F it's actually very good. I've never tried a stomp box (Boss or EBS fx.) that tracks deeper then G or F#.

Maybe an Eventide product will be able to do it, but then it will be a question of money against how much actually are going to use it. Eventide is darn good though...

I never experienced problems with fast runs, maybe it's a question of the right technique.

And as I said earlier in this thread, get a proper tuner and forget the small displays that you wont be ablo to see in a live situation.
    There are no others options then to buy a Korg DTR-tuner in my opinion.