Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone with a Rapture know what model bart is in there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Dec 16, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Ok, I guess you don't need to have a rapture, but does anyone know what model soapbar is in the rapture?

thanks guys

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I believe all Pedullas have custom Barts pups and preamps. You could email Christine @ Pedulla for confirmation of this.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Oh geez...
    I suppose that does make sense though!

thanks!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I was just thinking within the last few days that I've heard of SD's and Dimarzio's being custom wound for whoever, but I don't recall such comment regarding Barts and EMG's. Any reference I've noticed to Barts/EMGs in basses, boutique or otherwise, was stock. And as many times as I've been to the Bart/EMG sites, I don't recall any mention of custom wiring pups as a buyer option as I've seen on other sites.

Does anybody know for a fact? I'm not going to call Bart and bother them with a question that's just a matter of curiosity anyway.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No idea. At all. If anyone what Bart J's are in my Rapture J2, 4 string, Id love to hear.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    - Look in the pickups forum. There you'll find a thread about someone having a hard time replacing pups in a Pedulla, because (as it turned out after talking to Mike P.) the custom pups are made to go with the custom preamp. Combinations with standard aftermarket pups were did not go well with the original pre.

- I know I have read on the Pedulla website that the pres are special units for him by Bartolini.

- I just read an interview with Michael Tobias. He said that he is now in the fourth generation of custom pups made for him by Bartolini. He discusses sounds with his friend Bill B., and then gets several prototypes of varying design to try out. (interview on the BBo Basses website)

-I inquired with Seymour Duncan about the pups used on Kenneth Lawrence's basses. They are the only SDs I've ever seen that are soapbars with dual rows of exposed polepieces. I was told that they are not available, and are made for and are only sold to Ken L. I was told that if i were interested in developing my own custom pickup, they'd be happy to work with me, but that it would not be cheap.

- I too have read several times that Sadowsky J pups are slightly modified versions of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups, built by DiMarzio exclusively for Sadowsky. I can't confirm or deny whether this is true.- I do know that Pedulla states on their site that the Bart pres are custom for them.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Interesting. Way back I had a Pedulla MVP briefly with Bart PJ's and a pre. Don't even remember what the pre in it was. But don't think I've ever been to the Pedulla web site. Pups sites I've ran thru, bass sites, rarely unless I'm looking up pup info.

The Dimarzio/Sadowsky thing I can verify cause Roger himself responded to a thread stating he has Dimarzio custom wind pups. He didn't specify the Ultra Jazz pup but that's what the thread was about and people who've had them both are pretty much in concensus they're extremely close.

Oh yeh, and it seemed someone said the Dimarzio site actually states as much regarding the ultra jazz. Don't recall seeing it myself but don't know that I've actually ever looked into the Ultra pup on their site.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most of the Zon models have custom wound Barts too. For example, the soapbars that are in the Sonus Custom, Legacy Standard and Legacy Elite are not available to the general public, or other luthiers.