Does being in a band affect your bass collection?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, May 15, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm just wondering to see if people collect bass equipment to play alone as a hobby, or to play with a band.
  2. I buy equipment if i'm in a band or not, itrs kind of like an addiction.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    In my case, both. I purchased some basses for specific band situations. Some others, just beause I like them, for various reasons.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's all for playing, influenced by the music I'm making when spending the money. For example, my most recent acquisition was a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI box because I wanted a DI and some way of creating a good amp sound even when I'm playing at venues where I can't take my own rig.

It's a brilliant box, but I didn't buy it just to add to an equipment collection - I bought it to make music!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Other than my first ever bass, every bass and piece of gear I have ever bought has been specifically for a band or musical situation that I needed or wanted it for. However, once the musical situation is over, I never end up getting rid of anything. I'm accumulating stuff. And I want a 6 string fretted for my church band.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought my 5 strings when my zydeco band started covering a lot of songs played on 5s and 6s (a lot of zydeco tunes are in D, too).

I bought two P-basses strictly to set them up with flatwounds for blues gigs I had (the Steinberger was getting me in hot water :rolleyes: ).

I have bought other basses just because they were cheap and realy cool.

I have used every bass I own today on a gig at some point.
  7. I think most "collectors" are not in bands. Every musician I know (and I probably know 100 or so in my city) has one or two intruments they use live. Most money is spent on practice space rent, fixing vans or recording, not buying extraneous equipment.
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    depends on what you mean by collection...
    How many basses constitute a 'collection' proper?

I've got a few, but I think of a serious collector as accumulating many basses.

Actually, I guess since you said "your" bass collection, all of that is moot. It is 'my' collection, so I'll answer accordingly.

Anyway, I don't gig with my bass stuff; just use it at the studio. Drumming w/ a band helps my bass 'collection' though- it gives me $ to expand it!
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've bought a 3-tone AM-P-Bass for the gig I'm currently in: A classic rock band. Once my vanity MODS arrive via UPS, I will have the look of the gig. The bass has turned out to be a really great instument too. So, I don't see myself changing it out. The rig I use is a modest bar-gig type 2x10 with horn + Hartke 4000.

Collection? No. Tools for the job? Yeah.

The "classic rock" gig pays well too. Unlike all the originals bands I've been in. But do what your heart tells you to do. Until you need the money.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: through the 80's I typically owned 5 or 6 basses. Then in the mid 90's I quit playing for 4 years to go to school at night and get a real career. So, I went down to 2 basses. Starting around Y2K I became established in my new career and joined a few gigging bands, so my collection has increased... I now have six five strings and a seventh on the way. Six is about my magic number; I can't see keeping more than that around (that's just me; I see nothing wrong with anyone else having more).

I still have those two four strings but they don't count 'cuz I never play them... they're mementos, not tools.