Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Black Metal suck?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm just wondering, because I bought a CD by a Black Metal act called Emporer, and it was rated the best black metal CD of 1997 by several sources and it was awful. The vocals were low, and by low I mean way low in the mix. I mean the guy sucked, but it was annoying because they'd be playing something simple so the vocals could shine, but they were really quiet so it was just this repeating riff and quiet growls. Also, everything was so reverabrated that their was no content to the music, it all seemed to float away.

I also own a "mental home" cd, they are a bit better.

Opeth, I'm told, is black metal, and I'm a fan. But they aren't just black metal. Mmm, I dunno. I'm confused. Is there such thing as good Black Metal?

Well... other than Living Colour... ;)

2. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know much about Emperor, but Opeth is not black metal. Opeth is not death metal either. Opeth doesn't really fit any of the traditional genres... I like to call them melodic death metal.
    I can't really help, because I only listen to a little death metal, but it's known that the old school black/death metal bands have really bad recording qualities. I wouldn't expect it from a 1997 Emperor album, but I don't know..

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Some of it's cool, some of it's not. Depends on what kind of person you are. You're not the first person to not like a purportedly 'classic' album.

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I don't like Black or Death Metal. Black Metal is even worse.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    To me they sound like NU-metal+grindcore+rap-rock, and I can dig that.

Black metal, and most death metal boars me to tears; musically it never sounds as extreme [i.e. THE BASS NEEDS TO DOMINATE AND CRUSH ALL like a boomcar fed into a large wood chipper, along with the bashing drums and buzzy over scooped guitars, but Nooo] as it should and lyrically it is silly to me.:D

6. Yes. Next question.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I was wondering, if you have a Christian Black Metal band, would they classify as ....Gray Metal?

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Oh man Matt,

I was just watching the live Emperor DVD Emperial Live Ceremony and thinking about how Emperor is one of the great bands of all time, very epic and brilliant. And I thought, let me do a search on TB and see if there are any threads....

Emperor is an aquired taste but let me assure you they do not suck. I've been listening to them for years!!! I like IX Equilibrium and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk the best. Some of the older stuff is hard to get into. Emperor was ahead of their time....

9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    It's actually called "White Metal." Yes, it exists.

I had a very religious friend who listened to only christian music. He really liked Black Metal, but hated the lyrics. So lo- and-behold, he found christian black metal on a late night christian radio show.

But then his brother died and he got into regular Black Metal and started doing the whole goth thing with the makeup and stuff...

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Remember when Matt Till thought Meshuggah sucked? Yeah, those were the days. Now he's a die hard. What caused this monumental change, you say? Why Matt opened his ears and gave it a listen a few more times. Amazing what epiphanies we have when that happens.

;)

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    What in the hell is "black metal"?

12. That's a shame...not really the place to discuss this...but, obviously your friend feels a bit wounded and betrayed.

As far as the metal thing...I'm really not into it at all...I find even "white metal" quite grating.

What ever happened to things like chord structure, melodies, and harmonies???

13. 1997, that would be Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk I suppose. I'm not too familiar with that album. I know the earlier stuff had that unlistenable early black metal charm, and the newer albums are sweet as hell, but I think that one's a sort of middle ground. You might enjoy IX Equilibrium and Prometheus more. Or not. If you like Opeth, you might check out Borknagar (maybe start with The Archaic Course, but it's all good). They're a little closer to black metal, but still pretty epic and musical. Dimmu Borgir pretty much head up the "accessible" black metal pack and might be worth checking into. (no comments please, they're true enough for the scope of this discussion.)

To answer your thread title, black metal certainly doesn't suck (in my opinion, of course.) There's a lot of stuff that can be called Black metal these days, and it's just a matter of listening to a bunch and seeing if any of it fits you. If you want to try to explain what you're looking for in more detail, we can try to guide you toward some artists more you may enjoy.

14. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    seems like there's alot of confusion going on. black metal, as i see it, is heavy, ambient and about creating a special mood or vibe, kind of like with heavy drone music, just not drone music. emperor is kind of black metal some of their records are atleast, burzum fits my idea of what black metal is. but don't listen to black metal if you want grooving basslines or virtuouses playing mad solos. black metal is not bad, just not for everyone.

and finally opeth is not black metal.

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    THANK YOU! :bassist:

16. Black Metal, just like every musical genre has its gems and its rotten apples. Some great bands have been named here.

What Emperor album did you listen to, Matt? The only one I have is IX Equilibrium, and I like to listen to it from time to time. No nu-metal crap here.

Borknagar is one of my favorite bands, although they're not exactly (or strictly) black metal.

As of more "traditionnal" black metal, I really dig Immortal and some Satyricon. Be careful though if you give these a try, if you're the kind of person who thinks that sLiPkNoT is "the heaviest band on earth", you're in for one hell of a ride (litterally).

So, to answer your question, no, black metal doesn't suck.

17. Black metal isn't the kind of music played by Living Colour and Fishbone (two awesome bands, BTW). :p

Black metal is usually a fast, melodic, sinister-sounding music, with lyrics dealing with occult/satanic/vampiric/pagan subjects. If you get past the silly imagery and lyrics, this kind of music can actually be enjoyable.

Some popular black metal bands are: Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal, Mayhem, Burzum, Gorgoroth.

Some early black metal bands were: Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost.

18. You pretty much nailed it, man.

19. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    E M P E R O R...(check spelling)

Well first thing that got me was that Opeth is a death metal band, clear difference between death and black, and thats out of Mikes mouth not mine.

Also i might add Ishan (lead singer of EMPEROR) was the guy who got Opeth signed.

Im assuming that the album your talking about is "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk" and not "Reverence" as both were made in 1997, please let me know if its not.

If his voice is low on the album due to production and black metal bands sometimes go for the bad production to add to the atmosphere. Maybe you should try "Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise" as it seems to be my favorite.

The band stopped after the album above as they came to a group agreement that they couldnt keep up the good metal and didnt want to let fans down.

EMPEROR are the band to refer to as classic good black metal and i think the fact that you might be getting Death and Black mixed up or may be affecting your opinion.

20. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    The band likes to reffer to themselves as a Death metal band, but alot of the fans like the term Progressive metal. i like it too, but i still respect that fact that the bands main structure is Death metal.