1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

does bridge need grounding if theres no tone knob.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chato, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    heres the story. i bought a mim precision. electronics were messed up. i had a squier chris aiken pickup harness laying around. but i dont see where the bridge ground would go? it works without it. but i dont want to like get shocked or anything without using a bridge ground. it does have a wire screwed into the shielding. im not really well versed on wiring pickups and such. thanks.

2. The tone control has nothing whatsoever to do with bridge grounding.

You can ground a bridge to absolutely ANY ground point, as long as it has a path to ground. It makes no difference whether you ground to a pot, or a jack, or shielding, or anything else. Ground is ground.

Axstar and lz4005 like this.
  3. Correctamundo! We want to provide strings and components with a common ground regardless if you have no tone pot or 25 tone pots. That same ground will be presented to one side of the line in signal at your amp and will serve as a reference throughout the amp circuitry.

4. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I've never wanted to like getting a shock with a grounded bridge, an ungrounded bridge, or anything, for that matter.
    Anyway you get it, it's just not pleasant.
    As mentioned, everything that requires grounding should share a common ground. Sometimes it's handy to solder a piece of solid 14 AWG wire across the back of all the pots. This gives you a low impedance ground buss accessible all over inside the pickup cavity.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    I ended up returning the bass.hopefully the next one has functioning pickups.