1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does certain types of music demand different gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Would certain types of musical styles, weather it be blues, rock, Funk, jazz, ect., demand that you want to use different types of gear. Certain heads for this music or certain types of cabs to sound better for this or that?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It seems that the "image" for Metal is so unforgiving you need to use "Metal" type guitars and basses.

I don't think I could take a Rockabilly or Folk band seriously if the guitar player was playing a Flying V through a full stack.

So yes, there is a "perceived" image for some types of music.

Aside from cosmetics, play what sounds good for what you are doing.

3. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    +1

4. i really think that your answer is YES
    every instrument sounds different to me

even knowing that a lot of sound is coming right out from your fingers.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, you can get all picky and finicky over it, and of course image does come into play (wouldn't do a jazz gig with Krank amps or do a metal gig with a 112 combo), but you should be able to take any working bass and plug it into any working amp with enough juice to cover the gig. And if you can't, then remember the old adage...it's never the equipment's fault.

6. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I suppose there is no sure fire way to find your "sound" unless you actually go and spend your money and buy every cab and head until you find that needle in the haystack.

7. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I'm a sucker for irony, so my next project will be a guitar player with a 5150 full stack and spandex, me with a Warwick Dark Lord and a Misfits haircut, and a drummer with a 15-piece set and corpsepaint, and ALL we'll play is Conway Twitty covers. Sponsored by Monster Energy Drink.

8. Most definitely IMO. I can use a Fender P bass with flats for a smooth R&B groove but if I wanted to play some high energy urban gospel then the P bass may not put out the same tone I'm needing. Likewise with heads and cabs, a big 2x15 cab with no tweeter may be great for a 70's cover band but not for slap and pop. You're probably going to need a tweeter and a couple of 10's in your cab for that. Plus, an Ashdown tube head may be great for classic rock but not for the stuff I play. I need plenty of highs and strong low mids to get the tone I want. Not all heads are capable of that IME.

9. It depends on your playing style and if you are going for a specific tone. My SR500 is awesome and everything, but if I'm playing a 70's or older cover, I'll pull out my j-bass or p-bass. There are tonal differences between active/passive pickups for sure and pickup config as well.

As far as heads go, with tube stuff you'll definitely get the vintage tone option no matter which you go for. Cabs can be the same kinda game, but it's hard to lack versatility when you have 8x10's or 2x10's and a 1x15. So the answer is yes and no I guess?

10. I agree with this post. There are some basses, heads, and cabs that are versatile enough to nail close to any genre if the player has the right technique for that certain style of music but then there are some basses and rigs that specifically designed and better for certain types of music. I know a good jazz bass can nail both a vintage or modern tone, depending on electronics and strings.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Ignoring all the polar opposites like stadium metal vs. small bar country, I'd say if you have a decent bass and a middle of the road sounding/powered rig you should be able to sound pretty good playing just about anything. If you're dependent on having $3000 worth of gear you picked out just to sound decent, you're not that good.:D Granted we all have favorites and stuff we don't like and endlessy discuss the minute differences of each but you should be able to make anything sound at least "alright".

12. Absolutely not. Sure some amp/cabs combination may suit one genre more so than another but it definitely isn't to the point that you actually need 2 different amps because you play 2 different genre's of music.

13. My P will handle any gig, but if I know a gig is going to be a specific style I have some basses I tend to use.

For Rockabilly, Jump Blues, or Swing I'll take my Tele bass (the '70's humbucker model) with Thomastik Jazz Flats. If I know I'll be doing some slap, my custom Jazz-style with EMG's or the Cort Funkmachine.