1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

does continous stress permanently damage our minds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I've been through a bit in my married life of 20 years....ups and downs, almost lost the marriage, still in there, been through alot of stressful work and still involved in alot of large business deals, high anxiety etc. One thing i have started to notice as i come closer to retirement age is that i am not as sharp as i used to be. What does this mean?..well its the ability to deal with situations where you need to make the right decision when theres alot depending on it. I'm still hanging in there but i now have to give myself a bit of space to think more about the situaiton, in the corporate life you dont always get this luxury when tendering for big deals in the millions of bucks....

If you get what i am saying you will know what i mean

ps. could this be what they call "burn out" ?

and by the way yeh i do stay fit and do gym training and watch my diet....lol

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    could be. There's not really any definitive way we can tell as of yet, far too many variables are encountered every day by the brain that shape what it becomes.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Couldn't have anything to do with you just getting older?

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    You describe me almost to a T. The older I get the more I fear some work emergency coming up that I will not be able to handle without coming unglued or making bad decisions. When I was younger I was definitely sharper. Now I can't remember what I did 2 weeks ago. :meh:

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    +1

I think it's just you getting older. Though I do believe that stress can bring on negative effects to those prone to mental illness and that can be permanent of course.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Continuous stress sometimes leads to depression, but I dont know that it permanently damages the mind.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I hope not.

-Mike

8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    There's positive and negative stress. I don't think either physically damages the brain per se, but if an overload of negative stress drives you to drink too much or something like that, then I suppose it can happen indirectly.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I was in the same situation as were other of my family members, younger and older.

What changed my life (and everyone else's) was to get into vitamin therapy with supplements:B12, D3, Omega 3 oil (lemon flavored) and Vitamin C.

If you can get lab work to test all your vitamin/mineral levels, I strongly suggest you do. You'll have a baseline to measure your gains. I got lab work every 3 months for 2 years to track my scores

There is current research on D3 and B12 and Omega 3 levels being too low in most people. Your body's ability to absorb nutrients changes for the worse over time, no matter how much good stuff you eat. Extra low B12 can lead to dimentia. All 3 can affect memory and energy levels.

Most of my levels were middle to low. My calcium was high so I don't take multivitamins or calcium supplements. Also, daily vitamins won't necessarily boost your low vitamin levels.

Since only my calcium levels were at the top of the range, and since no doctor was able to tell me what is OPTIMAL for ME for the other vitamins/minerals, I made it my goal to raise all of my middle to low vitamin levels to the top of the range.

As a result of vitamin therapy, my memory(short/long term recall),energy levels and immune system have been and continue to be greatly enhanced.

I have been ill for only 2 days in the last 2 years. And it wasn't as intense as I usually get. Previously I always had to get on some kind of medication.

I also cut my salt intake to about half the recommended daily value(2300mg daily). Reducing salt decreases the effort your body(heart, kidneys) exerts to remove waste and overflow. Thus, reducing inflammation that can affect your blood vessels, brain, etc.

Also be sure you're getting good sleep..6-7 hours. Sleep deprivation/poor sleep will decrease energy and memory retention in addition to reducing your ability to focus.

Vitamins are cheap so there's not much of a downside to testing them out for 6months to a year to find out if they can help. :)

Note: the links above are to the products I actually use. Obviously, you can buy anything that may fit your goals. YMMV, IMO, IME, etc. Check with your health care provider before making any changes.

As far as stress goes, PTSD is the result of ongoing too much stress. I suggest spending more time in the sun and taking a few weekends off per year to de-stress. IME, it may take longer, depending on your level of stress. Working out as often as possible get your muscles working, blood moving through your system and produces lots of good stuff (hormones, chemicals, etc.) for your brain and body.

Good luck.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't see anything positive about stress.

11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    That's because your definition of stress is limited to negative stress.

You probably call positive stress "motivation" instead...