does creatine really...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Feb 10, 2006.

1. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    make you shrink down south? one of my friends just told me that, and since I'm contemplating thinking about getting serious about maybe starting creatine, I was just wondering.
  2. Do you mean like cold water? A scared turtle?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    no it does not, that's absurd.

Of course, the bigger you get everywhere else the smaller you'll appear.
  4. Can't tell you for sure, but 'roids do. Steer clear until you're for certain.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Now That's what I call conviction! :smug:
  6. No studies I've ever seen have shown that it does.
  7. Creatine has been known to make you a more aggressive person, but I dunno if thats a proven fact or just something I've noticed in the people who have taken it.
  8. Bigger

Bigger Banned

Oct 18, 2005
    no it doesnt at all. i dont personally take it for the only reason that it really doesnt do anything but make you LOOK bigger. it has some proteins and such in it but if you want a really good boost grab soem No2, its works pretty well.

why do you wanna take creatine? i hit the gym like 3 to 4 days a week so im curious.
  9. I don't think that that is a fact.
  10. Creatine monohydrate has no proteins in it. I suppose that some companies have supplements containing both creatine and protein, but creatine itself is not protein.
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm a boxer and I can say 10000% that it doesn't make you lose any of your stuff... all it does is inject water into your muscles... (including your heart so be careful)
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good post. This would be my concern with people who use it.

13. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    thanks for all the advice, and I'm contemplating thinking about getting serious about maybe starting creatine because I have a ridiculous imbalance between my lower body and my upper body strength. I can squat 150 or 160 10 times, and I can leg press 255 more than 12 times, but I can only bench about 90 10 times :meh: and I know creatine will make my legs stronger too, but I'm really trying to gain upper body strength. and i have one more question, can creatine really give you kidney stones?
  14. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Creatine is not a steroid, nor will it make you shrink downstairs. Don't believe everything you hear about creatine up front, for some reason it seems to be the blunt of alot of hearsay. you should, however, learn everything you can about it, and check up on the sources that are listed when someone writes an article on it if you question it's reliability. here's a fairly well researched and well presented article on it, but look around and learn as much as you can about it before you decide on taking it.
  15. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Man to be honest I really would stay away from creatine or anything thats drug like and offers too good to be true results. As was said before they just fill you full of water so your not going to be stronger just bigger. If you have an imbalance which may or may not actually be an imbalance taking steroids isn't going to do much good. Even if they were 100% guranteed to make you stronger your just going to increase strength evenly all over and you will retain this imbalance. Doing excercise and more of them that focus on your problem area seems more like the obvious solution.

My advice is to talk to your gym instructor or other qualified person about what you think is a problem and actually determine whether it is or not ask them what to do about it. At the end of the day you have what you have so get used to it.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    +1 on what groovetheory and aerospace guy said.

i haven't researched it in a while, but did a while back and at that point they only speculated that it might have some adverse affects on people - basically because the kidneys and liver have to sort it out like they do everything else we put on our bodies. i've taken it from time to time and never experienced any side affects, shrinkage, aggression. I think a lot of people think creatine is a steroid, so they immediately start giving it the bad rep that steroids have. Creatine is in meat, and I believe our bodies produce it from amino acids. I'm a vegetarian and supposedly the 5mg they recommend to take a day is what an average meat eater gets in their diet without the supplement.

I read somewhere that if you take it you should do it in 3 month increments just to play it safe (3 months on, 3 months off) and drink craploads of water when you're taking it. That's to safeguard against what some people say might happen to long term users (the kidney and liver stuff).

IMO it's harmless.
  17. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    In answer to the original question, creatine will not affect your 'nads. Its a musclebuilding supplement; it's more or less doing the same thing as suger or carbohydrates; it's a precursor for the ATP synthsis that powers your muscles :hyper: , and is used to add mass when bodybuilding just like sugar drinks would be (that's how they're usually taken, right before or after workout)

I suspect the rumor started because BBs will 'stack' creatine with testosterone enanthate or other anabolic steroids during a cycle (e.g., 12 weeks of mega-steroid doses). The AS will shrink your equipment, because the body's feedback loop tells the equipment that it already has enough testosterone floating around, so the testosteron factories shut down and shrink. :eek: :eek: Typically BBs limit a cycle to 12 weeks or so; so that the equipment has a chance to recover; and they do other drugs after the cycle (PCT post-cycle therapy they call it) to feel better and keep things on the up. ;)

They also tend to stack anti-estrogens like tamoxofin during a cycle, because all that extra testosterone get aromatized into estradiol, which will cause the growth of breasts :rollno: , and otherwise bring out your feminine side :help: ... generally the type A guys in bodybuilding think this is NOT a good thing :spit:
  18. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    IF you decide to use it, make sure to get a good brand. I've used some that worked well, and used others that did absolutely nothing. Have to wonder what was really in those jars.

When it worked well, I found it usually gave more muscle endurance rather than increased 1RM. I would quickly go from 5 reps to 8-9 reps with a given weight.
  19. wow somebody that actually knows what they are talking about - what a blessing (as opposed to people who think creatine "just injects water into the muscle")