Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does dancing improve your groove?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Smith, May 31, 2001.

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Don't Know

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This is a question I've been pondering for a while. Does your ability to dance i.e. to the beat of songs, none of that spastic stuff :D, improve or reinforce your ability to groove and your sense of rhythm?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ....when tap dancing was on the tube, like every Saturday night variety/talent show of yore, many, many, many drummers tapped(& vice-versa).
    IMO, it's gotta be an asset having some sorta internal rhythm goin' on.
    That said-
    I DON'T dance! ;)
    (Not without booze...)

(& BTW, "DON'T" doesn't = "CAN'T"). ;)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Totally! I'm all over the floor when I play. And to boot, it shows the crowd I'm having fun.

4. Seems like the worse the dancer the better the musician

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I think it improves the groove. I sway deeply with the groove, which is dancing, I guess. I'm used to playing at the back of tiny stages, so I don't cover much ground, but I definitely move to the music, and it helps.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Hey folks, I'm not talking about dancing while your playing, I'm talking about your ability to dance to other music, music that you're not playing, this can include, ballroom dancing, swing dancing, latin dancing, hip hop free style, etc...

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I stand by my vote.
    Your last post, Phil, reminded of a comment by Omar Hakim; in the interview, Omar said '...if you wanna learn how to play Reggae, go to a club & try dancin' to it; if you can dance to something, you can play it'.
    (NOT verbatim, but something to that effect).

Phil-
    Shouldn't your sig be "Thinking BIGGER than Big".

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Didn't think of that then, but look at me now. ;)

9. I think I have pretty good rhythm and meter, but I took ballroom dance lessons recently and absolutely sucked more than any other dancer has sucked in the history of suckdom or dancing.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I don't know if it makes you a better player or not, but it sure comes in handy when you want to pick out tunes that'll get people up and moving. It's pretty embarrasing being caught on a dance floor by a non-danceable tune...one of those where you look at your partner, shrug and walk off...and hope you didn't look too stupid while you decided you couldn't dance to it.