1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Drop-Down Tuning (DGCF) Require Special Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NAME, Oct 29, 2018.

1. NAME

NAME

May 18, 2018
    The True North.
    Hello everybody!

I would like to tune my EB MM StingRay Special 4 HH down a full step to DGCF.
    Will that work with the EB Super Slinky Bass strings (045-065-80-100)?
    If not, what are the criteria to look for (gauge, string tension etc.)?

Thanks!

2. For DGCF, I would start out with something like 50-65-85-110 or 50-70-90-110 to make sure they have enough tension and stiffness for optimum playability.

If you want to stick with Ernie Ball, try the Power Slinky, 55-75-90-110.

3. NAME

NAME

May 18, 2018
    The True North.
    Michael, thanks for your reply and the link to the club!

michael_t likes this.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    For occasional D tuning, it's fine to use your current strings. The strings will be floppier, so you might find that you need to play with a lighter touch and/or pluck closer to the bridge.

If you plan to use D tuning all the time, then you'll probably want to use thicker strings. Especially if you have two basses, one in D tuning and the other in standard E, this will give you more consistent feel and tone between the two basses.

Your bass will probably need a full setup (truss rod, bridge, intonation, etc.) with the new tuning.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I’ve used TI flats in drop tuning with hipshot to D with absolutely no problem. Its all in the setup. Granted if I played in that range more I would be using a 5, but the little time I spend below low E it works just fine.