Does everybody hate the Boss SYB-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 3, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I messed around with one today at GC, and liked it. I compared it to the Digitech Synth Wah, and I liked the SYB-3 better. It had some cool sounds I couldn't quite find on the Digitech.

The Deep Impact might be a better choice, but they're scarce and pricy.

Anyway, I played the SYB-3 for a while, and while I had to be pretty deliberate with my playing, it seemed to work.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like it too. No, it doesn't track fast playing, but that's not what I do with it. Besides the bona fide synth functions, it also works as a decent octaver, envelope filter and distorto-unit.
  3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, I've owned one for years, and I'm not crazy about it. I feel like I should have bought a micro synth while I had the loot. It just sounds cheesy IMO.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like it enough not to sell it. I paid full retail price, duh!!! Don't do that, get a used one. If you use it carefully to trigger long sweeps, it's good at that. I have not worked it into my live pedalboard, but I haven't given up on it yet.
  5. hdmusic

May 4, 2004
    Ashland, WI
    Don't get much use out of mine- WAY too sensitive to changes in tone. I can make it sound great at soundcheck, but if I even look at any of the knobs on my bass the pedal will act differently when I get around to using it. Having said that, I do manage to get some great sounds out of it- they're just not always there when I need them.
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I opted for the Digitech myself - and I'm glad I did. I use the Digitech pretty frequently in my band and it's pretty versatile.

I just didn't care for the Boss' sounds.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup. Hate it. Too cold for me, so I got the Electro-Harmonix instead. Analog, baby!
  8. Hated it, I had one for 2 weeks and returned it to get the EHX Bass MicroSynth that is a lot jucier & easier to use. I also have a Deep Impact on my pedal board that rules!
  9. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Yea i have the Digitech. Works fine for me but the boss is also pretty cool. except its way to overpriced. You have to agree with me on that i mean come on 200 bucks????
  10. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    In my world the boss SYB is a gimmick. A mere toy. I borrowed one for a short while a really couldn't find anything I could use it for. The only thing it has going for it is that it makes a gloriously digital messed up noise that cut's in and out betweel squealing warbling intervals,
    when it fails to track every other note. As far as can see it's blatant false advertising on boss' part to suggest that it might have any practical use other than a doorstop.
    I've never tried a worse synth. If you can get some consistently good sounds out of it I salute you.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, the BOSS IMO is much better than the Digitech. I could only use the DT for one thing, and that's on mode 7 to get the perfect sound to play the keyboard part in Chameleon. The BOSS sounds much betteer, but is still way to expensive for it's limited capabilities.

I've yet to find a good synth bass effect that works for me.
  12. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I've used 'em both. I didn't like the SYB-3. It didn't track very fast and the sounds seemed to bounce around a lot. The Digitech, on the other hand, has been a joy to use. I really like the octaver on it.
  13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yes - the tracking is laughable.
    I'd say the Digitech is way better, but the Akai smokes 'em both.
  14. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    As does a Korg G5- you can control the filter with an expression pedal. Finances, too many synths to use and pedalboard space meant I ended up trading mine in :meh:

...for a big muff. :smug:
  15. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Mabey a poll would be a good idea?.. Personaly, I dig some of the sounds on the SYB-3... But it tracks like a houndog without a nose, and it is quite "digitaly cold"... Plus nasty Fet switching, and ADA conversion...

I also dig the BSW, more so than the SYB... Tracks way better, and the "analog" sounds sound, well more analog... Plus it is 1/3rd the price, and digitechs switching system seems to be better than boss's... And there ADA coverters work WAY better...

16. I'm working on my brand new SYB-3 (not so new, I buy it used). There's only 1 effect i find cool, the wah!

I've recorded a little riff to see how it sound! I use midi for the drums and melody... don't judge them, they are doing their best :smug:

SYB-3 with Midi friends

For now, i'm lovin my SYB-3
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I owned an SYB-3 and I was somewhat underwhelmed by the tracking (that is to say, it was unacceptably awful). I got rid of that box. I did try the new SYB-5, it seems to track a bit better, and it's cheaper than the SYB-3 was. It's now fairly close in price to the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I may have to A-B the two of them...
  18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    1. Tracks like crap.

2. Sounds like a toy.

3. Get an Akai Deep Impact if you can find one, worth every penny. Tracks great, sounds professional, reliably built.
  19. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Is this the new one or the old one?
  20. I'm talking of this one: (hope i'm right! :smug: )