Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does everyone hate funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Jan 26, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    OK, the more I play, particularly on fretless, the more I discover that funk is really fun and I naturally come up with funk-based lines. The band I am working on right now (no gigs yet...) has been fairly focused on more of an alternative style with the occasional weird line. However, it seems everytime I come up with a funk-esque song that has odd chord changes at odd places or odd time signatures, everyone, particularly the guitarist, wants to throw somethhing at me and complains, so i mod the line to be more "standard" if you will. From talking to people and looking at the local music scene in general, it seems to me that lots of peopel do not liek funk. I would like more than anything to have a band that is at the least very comfortable with funk-styled songs. I do not know if i can find a group of individuals that mesh with me that would make this dream possible though. In your experience, does it seem I'm right? Do most people not liek funk? :confused:

Mods-
    Move this if necesseary, not sure if this is the correct forum?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I love funk, and I am fortunate that my guitarist, who comes from blues background, is also getting into it and is even encouraging me. We do several covers in a very funky way, and audiences seem to like it. As for the drummer, he is no problem - he's my son! :D

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That's sweet. I wish my drummer was big on funk. He is one of my best friends..but he complains about funk and threatens to kill me when i try to make himplay it, LOL. Can't live with em' can't make them your slaves....

4. Are you hanging out mostly with white guys in their early 20s from all-white neighborhoods who hate rap? Do any of them enjoy dancing? If the answers to those two questions are "yes" and "no," respectively, then it might seem that "everyone hates funk." But that's not everyone.

Fact is, IME people who hate funky rhythms usually do for one, or both, of two reasons:
    1. Their internal rhythm isn't strong enough for them to handle syncopation. (Or, in other words, they have no rhythm.)
    2. They can't dance.

The "alternative" style (alternative to what?) attracts a lot of meatheaded mooks who hate everything with which they're unfamiliar. Try to expand your horizons.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha...nicely said. I say primaril;y alternative is what I'm doing now because i donlt really know what to call it...its kinda generic though and just for some fun. But I live in a rather low-class area in the suburbs with plenty of minorities, etc. Denver is a very "white" area as far as the culture goes. I do wish i lived somewhere where the music scene was more diverse. As far as expanding my horizons, I would like to do so, but the question is how? I don't really think running aorund music stores asking people if they like funk would be the way, but then again, I don't have any idea on how to go about meeting indviduals that share my palatte of interest in styles. I'm Open for suggestions...and Uh, I can;t dance to save my life, so, um yah.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What I notice about FUNK, is that it features alot of "dry" guitar parts. Some guitar players get hung up on thier tone and don't want to change.

Plus, the guitar plays a percussive or more of a supporting role. There's not a chunky rythym guitar part usually. Not the easiest thing to adapt to.

Like most music styles. it takes work too.

7. Why dont you advertise on the musicstore noticeboards for musos who are into funk, and form a band on the side just to play in that idiom. BTW, white boys can play funk, check out Tower of Power.

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Hate funk?! Those are two words I never want to see placed next to each other again ;) . I love the stuff.

Try posting musicians wanted/musician available ads either at your local music store (not just ones that sell instruments....try record stores, too) or post ads online (i.e. Harmony Central)

EDIT: Looks like Marty was quicker than I was :)

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is a very good point. Many guitar players also can't handle the subtlety needed to play funk guitar. It's a very "less-is-more" approach in guitar playing, which seems to go against everything that guitarists are taught.

I've had difficulty with some guitar players, getting them to play some Motown, because many of Motown's great tracks had very simple guitar parts. It's the bassist that gets to have fun. It's a nice role-reversal that some can't handle.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sad to report that it's been true in my experience. Audiences seem to really dig funk, but it's been hard for me to find players who will take any interest in it.

A bigger town with a more varied music scene than what I'm faced with, might offer more hope...

Hope you'll have better luck than I've had... :)

11. I think people in general like a good dose of the funk once in a while, but I've never had an opportunity to meet a musician who likes funk and plays it well.

My drummer likes funk, but hates to play it cause he says it's boring. :rolleyes: Stupid drummers...

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yep.
    In my years, I played with this guy who was a very, very good Rock guitarist.
    Solos-wise? He would put goosebumps on ya(tone similar to Steve Lukather).
    Rhythm? Caramba...we would spend valuable rehearsal time while he attempted to get, say, the intro part to Lionel Ritchie's "Running With The Night".

It goes hand-in-hand with Jazzbo's "less is more"...the guitar part may only require a chord on "2" and the "& of 3". It is very much the sum of the parts, blah.
    Too, the chords are "more" than the standard Barre variety...voicings are important; there is no need to play the FULL chord(i.e. all 6 strings).
    There may be no need to do a solo per song, either. ;)

BTW, I ain't buying 'the white hood' bit...if you're open enough to explore other stuff not so relatable to your comfort zone...then go for it.
    FME & fading memory-
    ...it takes work & effort to listen & work on something new & different. Youth, sometimes, yields a false sense of bravado...meaning "since I'm not up with that stuff(i.e. Funk), it must suck & I don't need to learn it".

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Maybe I'm the only one who caught this. Funk, my fine friend, is dance music. Odd times don't go with dancing. Funk is fun music that's generally pretty easy to listen to - limited chord progressions, somewhat pedictable melody lines - very singable. Odd chord changes at odd places ain't gonna work here either. Everything about funk is about keeping the people in the groove, and dancing. If that doesn't happen, it's not funk.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ugh, guitarists. Yeah funk guitar can get pretty sparce. But it doesn't have to be strait funk. Funk Metal for example. He can play his power chords and be happy while you and the drummer groove...

Which reminds me... your drummer likes funk, right? Please tell me your drummer likes funk.

15. pete- FWIW, i'm white, i'm from a white neighborhood, i hate rap, i can't dance, and i have no rhythm whatsoever. but i still love funk!:D

16. I hate Funk.

Unless its done in a diaper.

Or a dress.

[​IMG]

17. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    A player who "hates" other styles can only go so far. Many rock guys just can't get the funk feel down so that may be one reason they don't like it.

I think if a rock drummer and bassist have the ability to get a funk groove happening it will strengthen their skills and sound in a pop/rock setting as well.

18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Admittedly I haven't heard what you're writing (you may have re-invented funk single-handedly) but I can't quite see how you've managed to write funk-esque songs with odd chord changes at odd places let alone odd time signatures. Could you possibly enlighten us less well-informed funkers of someone, (anyone!) that's recorded a funk song in something other than 4/4?

Alex

19. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    I'm from a place where you either like Rap (Nelly, Ja Rule) , Punk (Rancid, Blink 182 :rolleyes: ) Metal (Slipknot , Metallica) or corporate Rock (Nickelback, Creed). It seems that no one mixes their musical tastes because they are afriad of being out of thier "cliques".
    I , on the other hand, try to keep my horizons (relatively) open by listening to all genres of music (I have recently got into hip hop, good hip hop, not Nelly). Most of my friends have started to come around and listen to more varied music but most of the people refuse to.

Oh well, teach his own.

or is it, "to each his own"

whatever :p

peace

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    With all due respect-
    I believe Funk can work in "Un-EVEN" times...I'm not really talking about stuff that's blatantly "Odd For Odd's sake". I'm talking stuff more 'subtle'.
    Example: Something can be in "4"(Chart it out, it's "4") & still sound "odd". It's in the phrasing.
    A phrase may cross the barline; this may give the illusion of something "not even"...especially when played against a drummer playing it 'straight'.

Displacing "1" is another technique.

Here's an example of a 3+3+2 polyrhythm in 4/4.
    l1-&a2-&-3e&-4-&al1-&-2e&-3-&a4-&-l
    This rhythm, IMO, can be made Funky.
    Funk drummers bend time all the time...

BTW, when I was in an '80s Top-40 cover band, the absolute Funkiest tune we did was "Roller Skates" by Cameo(?). We ended up dropping it 'cause no one danced to it. Truthfully, it was too funky.

Anyway, something ODD that is Funky(to me)-
    "Free Man" by The Screaming Headless Torsos...it's in 2 bars of 7.
    I already know of you will say "This is not Funk".
    I also know many who perceive Funk as only of the 1&3/2&4 backbeat variety, too. IMO, that's like saying "Anything post-Louis Armstrong ain't Jazz".