1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does everyone hate funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Jan 26, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sorry, I need to be more careful with my terminology, I should have said something more alogn the lines of funky OR odd, seeing as I haven't really heard anything out of the 4/4 margins funkwise. Most of the time i use a 4/4, but occasionally its a 3/4 or a 5/8 or something that still isn't all that "odd". As far as the rest of it, refer to JimK's post. He explained better what I was trying to get at in my construction tendancies.
    And Matt, my drummer does not like funk. He's moving up to boulder in the fall though, and I don't know quite what I'm gonna do for another one yet.

Advertising for musicians still seems a bit too far to go at this point because the number of musicians in this city willing to be part of a "band in progress" that doesn't have gigs, set material, etc. is few and far between. I have a friend that;s really workin at the mandolin thing and wants to get something going bluegrass-wise down the road, but who knows that is gonn happen with that :rolleyes: (I think it could be fun though).

Lots of great info guys-I don't have piles of experience uner my belt yet so I don't always explain well, thanx for bearing with me.

2. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    I actually have a funk band going pretty well but we get along well is because we all share a common goal to play something not commonly heard. Because we're obviously a bit bored by the straight rhythms we hear so we try to incoporate several genre's into funk : jazz,fusion,reagge,ska,dub,salsa,bossa nova,latin with these we can acheive a speical sound and a wicked syncopoation of rhythms uncommonly heard.
    To make things even better we also have a horn and a sax section to really turn things up. I myself also play the sax.

If your drummer is unimpressed by funk try mixing things from other genre's , surely he would rethink.
    Not only that try to influence him by playing him funk cd's, whatever.

If he's a real lost case and he does n't want to play the stuff you want then find a new drummer. I mean why play things with a drummer if he does n't enjoy what you play?

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I love funk.

4. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Get them to listen to some Funky Meters and if someone still hates funk, IMHO their soul is a little dry. Needs a little gravy me thinks. As long as we're on the subject, here is a heads up on what many local musicians consider the "fonkyist" rhythm section in New Orleans these days. A study in complicated simplicity. Amazing drummer "Jelly Bean". Jon Cleary is the pianist for Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal. http://www.joncleary.com/

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Funk rules!!!:D

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm white, and I can dance pretty well especially if I'm drunk, and I love funk. I saw one of the most awesome funk bands this weekend in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.. Galactic. They were absolutely electrifying...

Dirk

7. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Where Y'at dirk? Yes indeed funk is alive and well down here in La.

8. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I think the appropriate question is... who doesn't like funk? There aren't many major music styles right now that haven't taken alot from funk. Its just a great thing to soak in a groove w/ ya know?

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You must like the guy in my signature (and influences :))

Cleary's band has a very funky rhythm section.

10. ...there just ain't enough of it.

b

11. I'm also in an alternative band with a flashy lead guitarist who didn't really like funk.

After being in the band for nearly a year we now have original material that ranges everywhere from prog metal to latin and funk, every song we come up with seems to have a new style, or elements from a different style and it's a lot of fun.

I think my supreme victory was the guitarist's last song he wrote, and considered hard rock. The rhythm section knows it's pure funk though :D

So basically, don't tell the other band members that it's funk and maybe they'll like it.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    OK, ok, so you have all convinced me that people like funk! Sorry for being a dumb white guy!;) You might all be a little biased cause funk is well, lots o' fun on bass. However, I will continue to be persistent funkify (is that a word) what I can get away with. :D Oh, I replaced the guitarist rather ecently, and I beleive he will bemuch more into the whole funk thing. If he's not, I'll beat him up.:)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Couple more: This time, ODD funky things-

"The Hump" from Buster Williams' Pinnacle album.
    It's 2-bar phrasing...bar 1 = 4/4, bar 2 = 9/8.
    That's 17/8? ;)

"Herandnu" from Weather Report's Black Market...it's an Alphonso Johnson tune in 11(IIRC).

Yesterday, thanks to this thread, I programmed a funky 1-bar 4/4 phrase into my drum machine...the catch was this-
    The kick drum did not play on "1"...it played on the "& of 1".
    I experimented with one of my funky(cough-cough) bass figures...first, I played on "1"; then I played the same figure only WITH the kick.
    In 4/4 to be sure. Nevertheless, it did have that "something is askew" flavour.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah - something I like in a funk piece is to displace the 1, with the kick & snare, so they come on different beats to what you expect. It's difficult to explain, but listen to the drum intro to the Jamiroquai song If I Like It, I Do It (from Emergency On Planet Earth) - that's the sorta thing.

And, doing a snare fill that carries on into the first few beats of the next bar, and maybe having the crash on maybe 2 and half or whatever, and only going back to the backbeat on beat 3. You can hear that sorta thing on Jaco's version of The Chicken from Invitation.

15. How about another classic Buster performance--Herbie Hancock's "Hidden Shadows," from Sextant.

Funk in 19/8, people. 19/8! My old-school fusion band plans to cover it.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah yes, that one. The riff on that tune really screws with my head.

17. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Yea you right! FUNK AND GONUTS!

18. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    BTW, when I was in an '80s Top-40 cover band, the absolute Funkiest tune we did was "Roller Skates" by Cameo(?). We ended up dropping it 'cause no one danced to it. Truthfully, it was too funky.

From the Keep it Hot L.P.
    WOW,JK You took me back like umm 22 yrs.
    ;)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Sorry 'bout that chief".
    ...I don't know where the time has gone, either.

Now I'm gonna have to pull out Sextant to re-visit Uncle Pete's 19/8 tune.

And-
    There is a sub-genre out there called Free Funk; AMG describes it as having "...eccentric Funk rhythms".
    Eccentric, eh?
    ;)

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I take it you were having a hard time finding a drummer and took the matter into your own hands. :D

I have been described by fellow musicians as the "funk element" in my band, as the guitarist's background is Rock n' Roll, the Singer is a country/folky singer and the drummer, well, he keeps time. ;) I like the way we mix it up.

The tune "Club and Disco" on my sig used to be am acoustic ballad until it got "the treatment", courtesy of yours truly. :)