1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does everyone hate funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Fun bassline on that one. I loved pre- "Word Up" cameo.

2. i agree that funk can be odd time, i usually sounds that way. i like to think my band is FUNK METAL we have a few songs with odd time and one of our best has a chorus with a phrase of 10 (4+2+4) that makes averyone dance at our shows. theres also a band on mp3.com called Camel Toe thats pretty good, theyre from florida. Long Live Funk!

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When developing or writing in a style that's new to you and your band, and just showing them a riff, and telling 'em "it's funky". You may have a tough time selling them on it.
    Alot of times, new grooves and styles are developed through the "Jamming" process. It accomplishes multiple things.
    You go in a different direction, and everybody playing in the band is participating.
    If you want them to play "Funk". And they have never done it before, expect resistance, unless they're pros. Then you will have it scored out for them.
    If bands are going to stay creative, IME, jamming; "spontaneous musical combustion" (if you will...), is a key element. If everybody is involved in the creative process, it's a (one of those silly Steven Covey things) :"win-win!"

4. Yes, Galactic! I haven't seen them mentioned on the boards that often. I saw them a couple of years ago in Cleveland with the Frog Brigade (Drums & Tuba opened. Sweet, sweet show, and a bizarre combination of bands). I need to go buy some of their albums.
    I can't dance, but I try when drunk.

5. Galactic is awesome. i always thought that stanton would be an awesome drummer to play with, seeing how funky his band is. hes always doing stuff for Modern Drummer and holding down the funk. check out the song "Mystery Tube".

6. joel

joel

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    FUNK IS WHERE ITS AT!!!!!

7. I got da funk!

I learned it from Sly Stone, TOP, The Brothers Johnson, Parliament Funkadelic and The Osmond Brothers.

Hey, that Donny could get down! :confused:

Not.:D

Mike

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mike-
    ...you're 'one bad apple'.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"When Potato Salad goes Bad!"

10. Could anyone suggest a dance-club crowd-pleasing funk tune that is sure to get folks on the dance floor?

(We currently do "Brick House" and "Play that Funky Music Whiteboy" and they pack the floor without fail)

Any suggestions would be neat-o.

b

11. Groove Line by Heatwave comes to mind.

Back in love again by - ? I forgot.:confused: (Uptight, Alright)

Some people consider this song a little on the whimpy side though.

Another one I can't remember the name of:

Shake it baby, shake it right
    Shake it baby, and do it all night.

My mind is going. :(

Mike:)

12. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Here are a few:

Pick Up the Pieces - AWB
    Skin Tight & Fire - Ohio Players
    Shining Star - EWF

13. People hate funk? Since when? I thought everyone like funk. Well Im certainly offended, you should just slap your buddies for all its worth. And you Live in colorado too. I havent met someone in colorado that doesnt like funk (Well except Baggy Fubu rap weed smoking kids).

14. Heh, Just like that movie "The New Guy". Ever seen it? They have some funk cover band that play those two songs, its hilarious.

15. Haven't seen the movie, but whenever I see a band cover 'Play that funky music' it's always really easy to spot the drunks based solely on dancing behaviour.

16. Mine too. Thx for the suggestions!!!

Trying to convince bandmembers on this one!! I'd love to play it!!

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    haha! I think its a neighborhood problem then...cause tehre are lot of the baggy Fubu rap weed smoking kid variety around here, lol.:p

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Back In Love Again"-LTD(vocalist: Jefferey Osbourne...which segues me into "Stay With Me Tonight" w/ Alphonso Johnson on bass).
    LTD were a cool band; I like "Jam" & "Holding On(When Love Is Gone)" from the Togetherness album.
    BTW, in the '80s, I think Frankie Beverley & Maze had a pseudo-ripoff of "Back In Love Again"...was it called "Back In Stride Again"? I'll have to look that one up.

"The Groove Line" is a happenin' tune from a happenin' album called Central Heating...check out "Party Poops" from the same. IMO, "Party Poops" would be easier to cop than "Groove Line". ;)
    More Heatwave doables:
    "Too Hot To Handle"...very Funky, IMO.
    "Super Soul Sister"
    "Ain't No Half-Steppin'"
    ...all from Too Hot To Handle.
    And someday, I hope Hot Property gets issued onto cd. More great Rod Temperton tunes like "Eyeballin'", "Raise A Blaze", etc.

19. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i love funk. wish i were more funky in my playing. most of the rock and blues guitarist i've played with seem to shy away from funk and reggae.:(