Does feedback damage the amp to any degree?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bartman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

You're probably thinking I only joined the forum because I have a question and I need help (This being my first post). Well, that's true to a minimal degree, but I've been searching for a good bass forum for a long time and I'm glad I finally found it :). Anywho... just wondering if excessive use of intentional feedback will harm the bass cab in any shape or form. I seen a concert where a bassist leaned his bass agains his stack and let it feedback for like 5 minutes straight as the band was doing their outro. Is that bad for the amp?

2. Generally, no. Bass strings generally have a limited amount of travel given the tension and action etc, and it will probably just reach a point where the feedback will continue at the same constant volume.

Microphone feedback may have more potential to cause damage to the system due to large amounts of clean gain in the amplification, and the relatively high headroom. In any case, microphone feedback will hurt ears long before it hurts a PA.

At least, I think...
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    What kind of feedback exactly? I don't really understand what you mean...

Welcome to the forums, by the way. :)
  4. thanks :)

i meant just regular feedback from the bass.

Like when the guy from the band leaned his bass agains his cab and just left it there, the feedback was insane. The whole venue shook. I kid you not.

I was thinking of trying that sometime and I want to know whether it would do any damage since I just got my new stack last week.

5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    You mean like just strumming all the strings and letting them ring out?
  6. yep, exactly like that.
  7. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Heh, I've actually never seen anyone do that before... I must not get out much. ;)
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The answer is yes! I blew out the tweeter on my cab that way. I had the high bands on my EQ cranked, though.
  9. Well, I dont the kind of feedback he's talking about would blow a tweeter. I'm probably wrong though.

If thats the case, just turn off your tweeter before you do it.
  10. Lemmy of Motorhead does this intentionally after every set. Its quite humourous...and hard on the ears :D
  11. herenseti

Apr 15, 2011
    Dorset, UK
    feedback is the crazy noise you get when your pickups pick up the sound of your instrument being played through your amp leading to recursion loops. This is essentially useless for bassists because it sounds too boomy, but guitarists, Hendrix for example, use this effect to, well great effect.
  12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I use bass feedback loads. Headstock against the cab works well. It should break the amp any more than pushing the amp past its limits any other way.
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Indeed! I just read through the whole darn thing!!!
  14. Way to pick up this thread again, Chief. I honestly don't think the OP cares about this question anymore. Do you know how many things have happened in the last 6 years?!
  15. Dymond-

Jan 26, 2011
    London, ON
    Was it Ben Shepherd from Soundgarden?
  16. The OP's last activity was 4 years ago... :scowl: