Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Fender know what they're talking about?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was @ the Fender site looking @ the Victor Bailey Jazz.

:confused:

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You might have better luck posting this in the Luthier's forum.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My only thought is that Fender is comparing the brightness of the body relative to the other body woods they use. Beyond that I would tend to follow the definition posted by Warmoth.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, koa's brighter than mahogany, but it's not ash. Maybe the rosewood laminate adds some definition.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    IMO, Fender swims in murky waters when it goes beyond Ash and Poplar and Alder...

They should stick to vanilla and let the big guns do the exotic stuff.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    This was probably written by a marketing type who may or may not have the same understanding of woods and their tonal properties as a master luthier. (No disrespect to marketing types!)

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd think so too

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    It was written by a non-musician PR person...

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Talking about wood's contribution to tone is gonna always cause arguments.

Carl Thompson uses all sorts of exotics and weird laminations on his basses but he has been quoted as saying he thinks it makes absolutely no difference :eek:

Obviously some builders feel otherwise :D

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...who can't spell "Pau Ferro" either.

worse, because Fender is supposedly the be-all, end-all of bass guitars, some peopel are copying the error. In other words, Fender's helping spread ignorance.

I don't know who it is that proofreads their material, but I'd sure like to apply for the job...

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

I dont think youll get it...:D

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Not the first time they did that either. The "tremolo arm" on a stratocaster (oh horrors! I'm talking about guitars!) is for vibrato and the vibrato input on many Fender guitar amps is actually a tremolo... Apparently Fender confused the two terms at one point and simply never did much to correct the situation...

13. Here's another.
    Fender's '62 reissue Jazz bass has the old 2 stack-knob control plate, a feature that only appeared in '60. The beauty of this is that they've known of this cockup for the 13 years or whatever it is that the '62 reissue has been in production, and have made no attempt to rectify it, despite my sending several letters and emails (I do have better things to do, it just irked me...LOL)

14. I agree with everything that's being said. Koa, Mohagony, and Rosewood, are all warm sounding soods. However, I think the real question is: How does this bass actually sound in person? Have any of you guys tried it? I can't comment because I have not.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why?